Chapter - Seven (Isla)

Our laughs slowly subsided. I lay on the ground looking at the breaking roof. I got lost in my thoughts and asked, "Till when are we going to laugh like this and try to forget the reality?"

Suddenly, a couple of knocks came from the door. I quickly got up from the ground while Lucas responded, "Come in!" The knob turned and the door slowly opened to reveal the blonde girl peeping inside. "Hey Natalia! Come sit here.", I cheerfully said, tapping on the chair. She slowly made her way to the chair while I went and sat beside Lucas on the bed. "What brings you here Natalia?", he asked as he stared her down.

"Oh! Umm I just wanted to tell you guys something.", came the reply, her voice as soft as butter. "Since we could die literally any second now, I thought it would be best for me to let out all the things I have been bottling up inside." We were confused as to what was on her mind. After an awkward silence, I spoke up because Lucas had no intentions to even look at the obnoxious girl, as he would like to say. "Yes Natalia, go ahead."

"So basically, I don't come from a very high ranking background. I have a ranking of...well 90." In the current world situation, we have a ranking system. We are ranked at our birth after going through a series of tests and these ranks can entirely change your whole life. The closer you are to 100, the more defective you are. I have a rank of 87 which was a huge hindrance to my basic necessities.

"My father-", Natalia interrupted my thoughts. "-I don't know where he is. I don't even remember having one." I couldn't relate more. I too have never felt the love of a father. I looked up to see Natalia's eyes welling up with tears. I wiped my own and walked up to her. "Hey it's okay. I understand.", I said as I placed my hands around her shoulder. She just started crying even more.

"I don't know how my family is doing right now.", she continued in between her sobs. I kneeled down and let her cry into my arms as I gently stroked her hair. She muffled into my dress, "I just want to see them one last time. They might not have treated me well but I will always love them with all my heart." She looked up and I saw a red face with blood-shot eyes. Her hair was wet and messy on her cheeks.

I wiped out tears and looked over to see Lucas sitting as still as a statue, staring at the ground. Heartless! "I'm so sorry if I ever hurt any one of you and Lucas, I don't know what I did to make you hate me so much but I'm so so sorry...", she burst out crying. I pulled her to me as her face was buried into her hands and her shoulders shook convulsively. Suddenly I heard the loud voice that made me leave Natalia and cover my ears.

"Ah! What a pleasant sight to see you all so happy and comfortable.", he chuckled. "Anyways! Let's get over with this. I don't want do waste any more of my time talking to you all sinners. You twenty are the only ones who have survived so far, accept it or not. Since you all look like dying animals, I'll offer you a meal which is waiting for you in the main room. Eat up!"

No sooner did he finish his sentence than cries of happiness echoed from outside. I mean we hadn't eaten in nearly two days now. I patted Natalie's shoulder and nodded, "Let's eat. It'll make you feel better, ya?" I got up from my kneeled position and helped her to the door. When she had gone out, I looked back and snapped my fingers, "Hey! Earth to Lucas. Let's go." He muttered something under his breath as I rolled my eyes and walked out.

I was just about to go to my room when I decided to turn back and talk to Lucas. I opened his door to see him looking at the pendant hanging from his neck. When he realised I was there, he immediately shuffled it back into his shirt and stuttered, "H-hey. You want something...?" "No. Just wanted to tell you to get all your stuffs. We never know what we could encounter and might have to run." "Ok, I'll do that.", he said nervously.

I closed the door and walked towards my room. What is in his pendant that he doesn't want to show it to anyone? I shrugged it off and went into my room. I tucked the pen and paper in my left pocket and safely kept the flower in the right. These were the only things I possessed for now unlike at home. My room, my closet and most importantly - my family.

Oh how much I missed them! My mom worrying about me like I'm a 2-year-old, my brother James being overprotective and Reece, who was murdered in the garage of his office. The case has been going on for a couple of months now but there is no sign of the murderer.

I didn't realise I was standing there for too long when I heard cheerful chattering from outside. I peeped out to see people carrying a plate with grilled steak and pizza, walking into their rooms as the aroma teased me to get my own. I walked outside and went to the main room. There were apparently played for each contestant placed on the tables in front of their names.

I went up to mine and picked up my plate when suddenly I heard a shrill cry from the right. I quickly put down the plate and ran through the corridor to see a girl screaming past me. I slowed down my pace and peeped to see a room wide open with grumbling sounds coming from inside. I knew I should be running away but my curiosity got the best of me.

I slowly walked up to the room as the sound got louder. Most of the people were now out of their rooms. I pushed the door slightly open and what I saw got chills running down my spine. A person, on another person, munching on his arms while he lay lifeless under him.

x__________x__________x_________x

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:
What do you think is happening in this place??
Put your guess in the comments ----->

Make sure you press that star at the end of the page if you loved what you read!
  |
  |
  |
  |
  |
  \/