Chapter - Nine (Isla)

I stared in disbelief for, I think, way too long because the cannibal person had his eyes now trained directly at me. I gulped and froze in fear.

My head said, "Run.", but my heart said, "Act dead." What the heck heart?! Acting dead isn't going to wo-

"Isla Run!", Lucas' voice ran through my ears. I snapped out of my argument and slowly stepped back. The person slowly crawled towards me.
Oh stop with all this suspense!

I dashed towards the main room, ignoring the hungry looks of many other now-turned literal cannibals!

And that is exactly why Mommy warned you about eating food given by strangers...

As soon as I reached the main room, I realised that it was a dead end. The left side of the building was in total ruins! What am I gonna do?!

I dart my eyes behind me to see Lucas rushing towards me, bringing with him a board of zombies (I don't know what they are so I'm going to call them zombies...) and a few unaffected people... maybe.

I couldn't distinguish between them. Some were running for safety while some were running for human flesh.

When Lucas caught up with me, we found ourselves trapped. "Let's jump on the other side!", Lucas snapped. I was still processing his stupidity when I saw him jump down into the ashes and motion me to do the same... I did the same.

Pain shot up my left leg as I realised that I had twisted my ankle. The whole floor was built on a raised platform so the main room and the right side of the building were still on the first floor whereas the left side was brought to the ground by the fire.

We jogged our way through the broken furniture. I realised that this side was much bigger than the other. I could tell from the wider corridors and the burnt down doors revealing much spacious rooms.

My foot was killing me but we had to get away from the zombies. Suddenly, Lucas stopped midway and I almost crashed into him. I tried to read his expression and he was... Surprised?

"This is no time to be surprised Lucas!", I scolded him. "Let's go." I glanced behind me to see a couple of zombies making their way towards us. I kept nudging him while delivering death stares to the approaching zombies when Lucas tapped my hand.

"What?", I whispered in frustration.

He pointed to his left and I followed it. It's honestly justified for him to be astonished because I was no less as struck as he was.

A metal door, standing intact amidst burnt wood, with not even a single sign of fire grazing its material.

"Grrr...", I heard from behind me. I looked back and saw two zombies charging towards us from a couple of feet away. I gripped Lucas' arm and rushed to the metal door. Luckily, it had a lock from the inside.

After locking the door, I slid on to the floor. I gasped for breath as I watched Lucas inspect the perfectly fine metal-like furniture. I closed my eyes to process everything that just happened when-

"Whoa whoa...", Lucas remarked.

I opened my eyes and saw him running his hand along a long box. It looked just like the lockers we had back at school. But why were there five perfectly intact lockers sitting in the middle of a burnt-down place?!

Lucas slowly opened the door and the brief creak made me scrunch up my nose. I got up from the floor and inspected the inside. It was hollow.

All of a sudden, load bangs from the door filled the room. Instinctively, I ran to the adjacent locker and closed the door while Lucas hid inside the first one.

The bangs continued until the door suddenly opened.

I saw it.
I knew I wasn't hallucinating.
We had locked the door from the inside!

x__________x__________x_________x

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Everything seems to go wrong! -_-

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

How do you think the door opened?

Put your guess in the comments ----->

Make sure you press that star at the end of the page if you loved what you read!
|
|
|
|
|
\/