TWENTY EIGHT

I suddenly felt my lungs tighten within my body, I couldn't breathe. The experience pushed me down to my knees and I stayed here sucking up as much air as possible.

What Bolaji didn't realize was that the presence of shukura had taken over the place.

         He continued to look into my face, offering different assistance to help me breathe. Inside the paper bag that he handed over, I puffed air in and out to still my anxiety.

When I felt I got enough air in my lungs, I stood up and glanced through the dizzying sanctuary.

          "Where are the people?" I asked, taking a casual walk on the stage.

Bolaji whose face had been riddled with scars looked at me in confusion. "The service had been over for the past three hours."

          I leaned on the podium and glanced over the empty sea of chairs. "Who finished off the service?" I sent a gentle gaze his way.

        "No one. When you passed out, all ministers disappeared from the scene."

         "Including Jacob?" I asked, nodding to whatever answer he might give.

          "Yes, including Jacob." Bolaji answered with a tiny bit of hesitation.

I stole a glimpse at his face. "What else happened?"

        "The sanctuary was filled with people manifesting in ways that was alien to me." He paused and placed his fingers on his jaw, "I'd seen people manifest, but never like this. It felt as though they were possessed by a violent angry spirit. They went after each other, viciously."

         His words forced my foot off the stage hurriedly. "That wasn't supposed to happen." I pointed out.

           "What wasn't supposed to happen?" Brenda's voice filtered into our conversation.
Shocked, I looked over Bolaji to see Brenda by the door way. She sat there with her arms across her chest.

          "Oh Brenda common! We are just discussing the ........"

          "The happening?" She pointed furiously at thousands of empty seats. "Its unbelievable what you would do for your foolishness. Whatever it is!"

          I was taken aback. Brenda had never spoken to me that way, and if she was doing that now, then, there was something she knew that was completely a secret.

         "Brenda?" I warned. "You are crossing the line."

She hissed and gawked at me. "You are the one crossing the line. I have much more things to say but the most important one is you finding a way to clean up this mess. You can't come and mess up the hard work of everyone involved in building this church!"

I watched her wheel herself away, mumbling.

Then,  I turned to Bolaji, "Please, continue."

The young man wiped off the sweat on his face and moved his feet involuntarily. " I think that's where it  all ended."

I glared at him. "Please finish the story jor!"

He pulled his face up and focused on me. "I believe something more terrible possessed them. This whole sanctuary was filled with crimson light. Then, those members woke up, they screamed and ran all over this place." He pointed at the huge church auditorium.

          "We were only able to monitor them from the CCTV and through screened the door. When Jacob couldn't take their screams anymore, he went in there and prayed for them!"