SEVENTEEN

PASTOR ADRIAN

My legs forced me out of the house. I don't know if I was running from myself or from my inquisitive son. At this rate, there was no how I would sit and answer his numerous questions.

How my wife and I were able to flow in the same realm scared me. Because whatsoever that was going on with me, I honestly didn't want to involve my family.

Brenda's breezed past mine. I suspected she was also heading out. Since Jacobs episode, we haven't said more than ten words to each other. Wasn't as if we were fighting but a friction suddenly grew between us.

         I honked as I caught up with her down the campus drive lane. She forced a smile and zoomed off. I ended the race at the church.
As usual, people were waiting for me. Even though today wasn't a counselling day, people still sat around waiting.

I rushed into my office, ignoring people's greetings. I wanted to be in my element. Somewhere I felt safe and my office was that to me.

Isaiah's call came as soon as I made it to my closer end office. Soon I was speaking into the phone. "What is it?" I growled.

            "They are here sir." Came his careful voice. I croaked a smile. They boy knew when not to cross my rage path.

           "Who?" I bellowed.

           "The Ministers. He paused and rephrased his sentence. " The young ministers are here Sir. "
I swallowed the forceful angry rant that was rushing to my mouth. "Get the situated. You know what to do."

I paused, waiting for the next thing to say. "And give me thirty minutes before you send up the list of people for counseling.

         "Yes sir." Came his muffled voice.

Once he was off the phone I relaxed on my seat and reminisced on the events of the past ninety six hours. From Unique, to Femi, to the 'Fives' and now my family.

      "How does one gather this much ants infested firewood and expects not to be stung?" I asked my ever accommodating office.

The device on my table glowed again, I hissed at how it made a vibrating noise on my table. "Who again?" I yelled before capturing the thing in my hand. Unknown number!
I watched I vibrate non stop on my hands before dumping it on the table. Whoever won't call a inscribed number shouldn't bother calling. I was too angry for nonsense.

      It buzzed again. I almost flung it to the wall. Stealing another glance at the screen,  Still unknown number. I allowed it to ring out before I shut my eyes again.
Then the landline went off. I pulled the recover to my left ear angrily.

            "What is it?"

           "Oh thank God you picked. I wanted to make sure the young ministers have reported at your church." Came the voice of Bishop Abraham.
A sigh escaped my mouth and I nodded as thought he could see me.

        "Are you still there?" He asked anxiously.

          "Yes. Yes. In fact they got here over forty minutes ago. We are settling them in the hostels as we speak.

The old man chuckled. "Thank you Jesus. Well let me let you be, we'll talk later okay?"

         "Alright. Thank you Bishop."

As soon as I dropped the phone, another call came in. "Pastor, there's a situation here!" He yelled.
Knowing Isaiah and his phobia for unnecessary noise, I decided to rush out front.
Fitting my foot back into my shoes, I walked to the reception area. A woman was sprawled lifeless on the floor. Inwardly, I groaned. It was always women and unnecessary drama.