TWENTY THREE

A sudden tug on my body startled me, forcing a shuffle in my position. I glanced around me, there was no more crawling movement around my body.
The terrifying blast of air on my body seized. I felt my body land on the ground beneath me.
The sky became clear just for a minute, then everything went  dark again.

       My eyes opened one pop at a time. Nothing was there anymore, not even my father. It was just the bodies of Bolaji and I. 
Forcefully I got up and fell. I got up again, this time very slowly. The traces of Lashula  were no longer there. I took up a high note of thanks to God,  I stole  glance at my companion.
Getting to Bolaji was a little difficult because my legs wobbled. He was still out of it. Part of his face detailed a minor burn. His pulse was still strong.

             "Bolaji?" I called.

His hands moved before he snapped his  open. Pain hit him when he felt the wound on his face.

           "Can you stand?" I asked, searching his face.

         "Hmm, " He murmured.

Slowly, he got up wincing in pain as the sensation made it to his nerves. His palms also suffered little blisters as well.
When he saw his body had become temporarily damaged by burns, he began to weep like a baby. I made no attempt to stop him.
When his emotions passed, I gave him a hand. We helped ourselves get to the closest location from where we were, the ministers quarters.

      Pastor Kelvin was seated outside his flat, reading a book from his smartphone. As Bolaji and I dragged ourselves to his apartment, he ran to meet us. Helping Bolaji to his now empty chair.

         "What happened? He asked.

I avoided his eyes. I couldn't lie neither will I expose my father. I caught Bolaji eyes as it dug into my hesitation.

         "It was just a freak accident. " Bolaji answered.

Pastor Kevin wasn't buying it. He gave us a long disdainful gaze. "Okay. I hear you."

Bolaji couldn't let him sniff anything, so he expanded the story. "Actually, it's quite a long story. As you can see, I am not in a state to tell the story yet.  Just help me get to the clinic." He pleaded.

The Pastor eyed us suspiciously,  I knew he had more questions grazing through his mind. Pastor Kelvin was known for one obvious weakness.   
Gossip.
If we tell him anything right now, by morning, the whole country will hear about it.

        It was no news that a gossip mole was part of the leadership of the church. At a point, I even  wondered if he was the owner of the gossip blog that centers it's articles on churches and their misconduct.

The most annoying part was their unfiltered ability get the juiciest details about Generation Christian worship center. There was no doubt in me that they blog had an inside source.
I kept my suspicions to myself. Even Bolaji knew that any information in the hands of Pastor Kelvin would automatically become an early morning breaking news.

        Twenty minutes later, Bolaji was all wrapped up in bandages and different kinds of prescription handed over to him. 

When we made it to his apartment at the staff quarters,  it was almost morning light.  I made sure he got fed and took his medication. 
Soon the medication knocked him off. I tucked him into his bed SEVENet myself out of his apartment.

Tired, I walked back to my office and placed myself on my air bed. The events of the night still left me stunned. I didn't even know if I would ever see my father in the same light again.