Green Monster Has Returned

Start from the beginning

Biochemistry might've been my favorite course this semester. The subject focused on the process happening at a molecule level, like inside our cells. Our mission was to understand how the structure of a molecule related to its function, giving us an objectively better hypothesis on how they will react.

Maybe it's my favorite subject because I struggled to deal with my own emotions. Molecules were effortless. Human emotion was an entirely different ball game. My mission the past few days was to disperser the reasons behind my contemptuous actions and figure out how to change a reaction.

It might sound simple.

But it wasn't.

Not even close.

Suddenly, a deep voice shouted in the hallways. "Move!" Capturing everyone's attention from the professor at the center of the room, lecturing. With a crease between my eyebrows, I glanced over at the open door, feeling all my organs plunge to the ground at the sight of passed-out Lana in Dara's arms.

"Everyone move the fuck out of my way," he hollered.

Panic quivered through my body as I deliberated over staying for the last five minutes or sprinting after Lana. Regardless if I suffered through the last minutes, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything other than Lana's wellbeing. My indecisive ass made the decision for me, and I accidentally spent the last five minutes debating instead of taking action.

Once the professor stopped lecturing, I disregarded my school supplies, my phone, and my ID and went straight toward the nurse. Uneasiness spread through my body like wildfire, rousing the speed of my walking on this friendly, sunny day. There were presumably a dozen students who I rammed into, but I couldn't utter a word until I knew what was going on with Lana.

It wasn't until I stood in front of the doorway that the concern slipped away like dust and was replaced with revulsion. My nails dug into my palm as I made a tighter fist instead of giving in to my anger and punching this asshole in the face.

Dara was leaning inches away from Lana's face as if he was contemplating kissing her. My wife. The girl who drove me insane constantly, but I wouldn't do anything to change that. He seriously thought he was going to get the chance.

Dumbass.

I cleared my throat. "What do you think you're doing?"

Dara halted at the sound of my voice, rotated instantly on the balls of his feet, his eyes the size of saucers.

"Oh, it's you again," I replied nonchalantly.

His lips stretched tight into a panic grin. "I haven't done anything. Are you kidding me?" His brown irises sank to Lana for a second. "With her? Never."

I played with the wedding ring on my finger, ignoring his pathetic lying attempt. "It didn't look that way to me. So she fainted, and you carried her here?" Dara nodded, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his baby blue scrubs, losing his edge as I walked past him towards Lana. "Thanks for doing that. For her. But I'm here now. Go back to your training."

Dara rolled his eyes. "I was going to go, anyway."

"Dara," I called out.

From the corner of my eye, I caught him craning his neck halfway while his body remained in the doorway. He's annoying and pathetic and didn't deserve my attention. So I concentrated on Lana instead, sitting beside her on the bed, pushing aside the baby hairs tumbling onto her forehead.

"I know you are aware that she and I are married," I stated, hovering my hand over her cheek, collecting the radiating heat coming from them. "Don't try... anything with Lana. You already got a glimpse of what I can do... Do you want more?"