10.

"Why are you so sad? It's your birthday," Tadashi bothered, rubbing the back of his head against my chest and looking up at me.

"Again, I'm not sad. It's just that I find my birthday very awkward."

"Why?" He whined. "It's your day, it's all about you, and you being happy."

"That's exactly my problem, nobody stops looking at me for one second."

"You can't blame them. It's so easy to not stop looking at you."

I smiled. "Whatever you say."

"Kei!" My mother yelled over some people talking.

I sighed. "I guess we should stop avoiding them now."

"Yes, we should."

Tadashi and I walked into the living room of my house. My mom greeted us, along with some other relatives that had arrived. And my brother.

"Kei, we're going to do cake first, if that's alright with you."

"Yeah, it's fine."

I sat at the table where my mom directed me. Tadashi sat next to me.

Someone dimmed the lights. I watched the tiny flames on the cake move in and out of sync.

People started singing the dumb song. I tried to only hear Tadashi's voice.

After it finally ended, my mom cut the cake and served people. I ate next to Tadashi, but was quickly filled by the sugary food. A lot of people tried talking to me. I tried not to sound rude, but I was honestly very uninterested.

After too fucking long, we had made our way to the living room once more. My mom was excited for me to open gifts, as she always was. I was beyond uncomfortable with the amount of people.

I started opening gifts, pretending to show interest, then moving on. Finally I found Tadashi's. I was afraid of opening this one in front of my family and family friends. I didn't exactly tell them we were dating. I mean, I didn't tell them we weren't, so really it's on them. Kinda.

I mean, apparently it's abundantly clear that I'm gay, so they should figure it out pretty easily. Thanks for telling me that, Mom.

I glanced at Tadashi after reading the name. The tag read "Tadashi <3 (happy birthday, cutie)." I shot him a quick glare, but changed it to a smile so nobody would notice. And because I liked him.

I opened the bag and took out the tissue paper. I saw a card and grabbed it, then started to read.

"Happy birthday, Tsukki. I know I haven't exactly been dating you for the longest time, but these last few weeks have been the most enjoyable times of my life. I wanted to let you know how appreciated you are by so many people, especially me.
Also, I know I can't technically see you while I'm writing this, but your concentrated face is so pretty..."

I looked up at him for a moment to see his smile. He giggled.

"...Anyway, I hope you like your gift.
Your lovely boyfriend,
Tadashi"

I looked at him again, closing the card. I peered inside the bag and saw something in a box. I took it out.

It was a mini projector. Something I'd been wanting for a little while, but only mentioned once or twice.

I thanked him and moved on.

Finally, the gift receiving was over.

And finally, everyone left. Everyone except Tadashi. Which was good. I didn't want him to leave.

So, in the living room was just Tadashi, my mom, and myself. And Akiteru of course.

"I guess I haven't formally greeted all the Tsukishima's yet," Tadashi stated.

"I guess not. Hello, Tadashi," my brother said. "Oh, just to clear something up for me, you guys are dating now, right?"

Tadashi glanced at me. I didn't return the action. I hesitated for a moment. "Yes, we are."

"Finally," he sighed.

"What's that mean?"

"Are you being serious?" He laughed. I nodded. "Oh come on, Kei, it's been so obvious that you like him for, like, at least 3 years. I don't know how long you've known each other. But come on."

My face heated up. "That's not true."

"You mean to tell me that you haven't liked Tadashi for that long?"

"Well not exactly..."

Yamaguchi giggled. "And it stands for both of you," Akiteru reminded. "Tadashi has been tripping over you for so long, I'm surprised you didn't notice sooner."

Now Yamaguchi was the one blushing.

"I mean, Tsu- Kei has been, uh-"

"Don't tell me he still calls you by our surname, Kei," Akiteru interrupted.

"Well, not exactly," I muttered.

"I don't even know the last time I've referred to you as 'Tsukishima'," Tadashi explained.

"Then what was..."

"No, no, it's like, a nickname. A shorter version of your surname."

"Let me guess. Is it something along the lines of 'Tsukki'?" Tadashi and I looked at each other. "I've heard that one a few times, directed at me obviously. Mostly as teasing."

"How do you think it started," I murmured.

We continued talking. I got bored easily with the conversation, but it was fine.

Finally, it was starting to get late. Everyone headed to their rooms, and Tadashi to mine. We had just gotten ready to sleep prior to this moment.

"Your card was interesting."

"Did you like it?" He gasped.

"For the most part, I thought it was very sweet."

" 'For the most part'? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, it was very nice."

"Do you not like how I called you cute and pretty?" He smirked.

I raised an eyebrow. "Maybe."

"That's alright. You won't do anything about it," he challenged.

"Oh? Where did that come from?"

Tadashi looked at me with a straight face, put his hand on his chest, and took a deep breath. "The most honest place in my heart."

"You'll see how that plays out sometime else, I'm tired as shit right now."

"Happy birthday, Tsukki," Tadashi said sweetly.

"Thanks, again," I said awkwardly.

I lied down on the bed and Tadashi lied in front of me.

"Birthday boy," he uttered. I rolled my eyes.

I pulled the blanket over us. Tadashi put his hand on mine. I smiled.