12.

Tadashi and I had been dating for almost 12 months.

In fact, it was one year the next day.

And I didn't know what to do for it. Of course I had ideas, but I didn't know which one to choose.

I walked into my living room, to find the person I was looking for.

"Uh, Mom?" I asked, sitting next to her on the couch.

"Yes, Kei?"

"I need help," I said uncomfortably.

"With what?"

"Uhm, just, Yamaguchi and I have been, like, together for almost a year, tomorrow, and I don't know what I should do, can you help me?"

I couldn't believe after a year I still flustered when I had to talk about caring about my boyfriend. I was more comfortable with calling him that, and more comfortable complimenting him, but I still didn't like feeling vulnerable around others. Even my own mother. Tadashi even just made the cut.

"Ooh, yes of course! Do you want to buy him something? I'll take you and we can pick something out for him. What does he like? You could take him out to dinner, too."

I was surprised at how enthusiastic my mom was being about this.

"Uh, he's mentioned wanting a silver necklace a few times," I remembered.

"Okay, we'll get him one. I'll pay for it, you don't have to worry about it."

"Okay, thanks."

"Of course. Do you want to take him to dinner or something?"

"I don't know, I think he does like picnics. We could go to a park, or maybe some place with a picnic table."

"Okay, we'll go to the mall soon to grab him a necklace, sound good?"

"Sure."

After a little while, we went to the jewelry store in the mall. My mom led me to the necklaces.

There were some chains with nothing on them, and some with charms in the shape of a small heart, or a star, or just a circle.

"Which one do you think he'd like?" My mom asked.

"Uh, I don't know, they're all good, I don't know which one he'd like best."

"Okay, take your time."

I don't know how to pick out jewelry, what was I thinking? None of these are good enough for him, will he even like it? I anxiously thought.

I looked at each of the jewelries. I narrowed it down to three necklaces. One with a swirly looking circle, a normal chain, and a snake chain.

I looked at my phone and noticed I'd been standing there for seven minutes, my mom also looking at them. She wasn't just looking at what I was, she was also looking at other rings and bracelets.

I chose the one with the snake chain. I told my mom and she got it for me. We went back home and I went into my room to look at the necklace.

I took it out of the long box it was in and felt the metal. It was cool. I hoped that he'd like it. Now to think about what I would do for a picnic.

There was a park we both lived near. It was near some woods, and there were some benches. I thought there was some picnic tables, too. And some grassy areas.

The thing was, I didn't know if he liked picnics on the ground, or at a table better. And this had to be perfect for him.

Should I text him and ask him? Would that be suspicious?