"Before we enter, is there someplace you'd like to go first, Sir?"

Kazuya rotated his left shoulder. "As a matter of fact, yes."

***

Sometime later, G-Tower

Kazuya tossed the files to the desk, collapsed on his bed, and sighed, feeling selfish. No windows, but the mattress creaked just right; carpet floor, neutral beige, and a bathroom.

Kazuya jumped to the pillow side, the landline connected to L-Tower and underground beside him. The L-Tower burst with radio signals throughout every direction; He distinguished the air conditioner on the wall from the underground diesel generators rumbling; The big guns, the 12.8cm flak 40s, used allied electronics. If needed, it can depress to provide ground support.

Still, he waited. Had the otherworlders noticed him? Did they detect the burst of radio waves? The Forest of No Return would be nothing more than a zone to grind levels, so he built a fortress. But was it enough? Kazuya wrapped his head, thinking about all the possibilities. Perhaps his abilities were a mistake.

A knock interrupted him. His abilities suppressed his anxiety, masking his face and standing.

"Who is it?"

"It's Katayama, Sir."

"Come in."

She snapped into a salute while holding a brow-raising bag of uncooked rice.

"Major Katayama, do you need something?"

"Sir, I'm here to give my report. The reorganization is complete, and all units are now on standby. We'd like to request your permission to carry out Phase Two Reconnaissance now."

"Ah, of course. Go ahead with Phase Two."

"Understood, Sir."

He left the zone that saw the concern for his men beyond him. Kazuya knew the basic information of Forest of No Return. However, they need to ascertain the veracity, fill in some more blanks, and identify the anomaly. Katayama spun to the door and nodded at someone on the other side.

Expecting her to turn around and bid farewell, Katayama closed the door with a straight face. No. Kazuya could see her mouth curving and eyes narrowing ever so slightly. He took a breath, letting his ability guide him.

"I take it you need something else?"

"Permission to speak freely, Sir?"

"Speak." 

"How's your arm?"

Condensation built up on the bag of rice.

"The doctor said it's just a sprain." She knew that. "I'll be fine in a week or two as long as I don't do anything crazy."

Katayama's gesture continued to surprise him; Looking down, her hand to her chest, and sighed in relief.

"Thank goodness..." she offered the bag. "May I?"

Morphine lasts half a day, though applying it is a tale only the doctors know.

"Yeah. Just put it on the table."

"Oh, heavens, that won't do, Sir! It won't do us good to know our Master is injured."

Kazuya pretended to ignore the 'Master' part. "That's fine. You do have a lot of tasks to attend to."

An understatement. It's concerning enough for Katayama to be fine going around like a mule. Then it clicked — Kazuya's yet to check her personality profile. Her general profile and level seemed normal enough until reaching the personality section.