Christmas Patch {27}

Start from the beginning

Dameon looks at me a bit confused for a moment before he asks, "What?"

"Books," I giggle. "You know, the things that are made of paper and have words printed on them. She loves to read, and even works at the public library."

Dameon's eyes go wide, and I realize I might have given too much away.

"Do not go and bug her at work. You could get her into trouble." I point a warning finger at him.

"Me?" He lays a hand on his chest, acting as if he's offended. "I'd never cause problems."

I snort and shake my head. Right. Pretty sure that's Dameon's life goal. Not that I blame him, it's always more fun to stir up trouble, but he is able to take it to an all new level.

"Mmhmm, you get her in trouble and she finds out that I clued you in, I'm going to kill you before she comes for me." I poke him in the ribs.

"I won't! I don't even know where it is." His sky-blue eyes flick up to me.

I know the thought that's going through his head before he even says it. "I'm not telling you where it's at."

"Ooolie," he groans out as his gaze shifts to the large bay window that faces Miss Nancy's porch. I follow his gaze just as he slides to the floor, getting down on one knee as I see Zane walking up the steps. My heart leaps into my throat, but I force myself to stay calm.

My attention drops to Dameon when he grabs my hands in his. "What are you doing?"

"Just roll with it," Dameon whispers just before the front door opens. "Ollie, I'm mad for you and I just can't be without you anymore."

His confession stops Zane dead in his tracks as I struggle to hold back a giggle.

"I have a plan that'll keep us together forever. In some states, they let sixteen-year-olds marry if they get knocked up so-" Dameon scoots closer, making the situation look even more intimate. "What do you say, we go back to my room. I put a baby in you and we get hitched?"

My eyes go wide. Even though I know his offer isn't genuine, Dameon and I have no interest in each other. It still takes me off guard. Before I can say anything to Dameon, Zane takes several long strides across the room and jerks Dameon back and to his feet.

"Oh, hey, cuz!" Dameon grins up at Zane, utterly unfazed by the death glare that Zane is giving him. "How's it going?" Dameon leans in closer to whisper to Zane. "Ollie and I are about to go shake and bake in my room, mind distracting Nan for a bit?" He nods toward the kitchen where Miss Nancy is working away, paying us no mind.

I see Zane's jaw tick as his eyes narrow on him. When I see his fist tighten, I know I gotta intervene before he kills Dameon. I jump up from the couch, pry Zane's grip off Dameon, and place myself in between. "I appreciate the offer, Dame, but I think I'm going to pass for now. With your Nan in the kitchen and my dad and your Uncle in the backyard, just seems like bad timing, ya know?"

"It's always bad timing with him." Zane takes a step forward. To stop him, I push back against him. It's like trying to hold up a falling brick wall. A very hard brick wall. Damn his muscles.

"Why don't you fuck off, Demon." Zane growls out.

Dameon's grin curls into a wicked smirk. "Well, I was trying." Dameon reaches out and touches my stomach. "Soon I'll get my jam in there."

"The fuck you will!" Zane smacks his hand away.

"Presents!" I raise my voice, hoping to quickly change the subject. "I have presents in the car. Help me bring them in." I start shoving Zane toward the door. Dameon might be completely ridiculous, but I appreciate his efforts of trying to make his cousin jealous. Not long after Dameon moved here, he picked up on my crush. He thought he could help by making Zane jealous.