Government property

Start from the beginning

"I never know with you" Tony smiles, "so you're fine?"

"Yes dad" Olivia scoffs, "I'm perfect."

Tony finds Steve in a glass-walled office overlooking the control room, "Hey, you wanna see something cool? I pulled something from Dad's archives. Felt timely" Tony shows him two pens in a black presentation box, "FDR signed the Lend-Lease bill with these in 1941. Provided support to the Allies when they needed it most."

"Some would say it brought our country closer to war" Steve says.

"See? If not for these, you wouldn't be here" Tony states, "I'm trying to. What do you call it? That's an olive branch. Is that what you call it?"

"Is Pepper here?" Steve asks, "I didn't see her."

"We're kinda" Tony hesitates, "well, not kinda."

"Pregnant?" Steve guesses.

"No. Definitely not" Tony answers, "We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault."

"I'm so sorry, Tony" Steve sighs, "I didn't know."

"A few years ago, I almost lost her, so I trashed all my suits" Tony states, "Then, we had to mop up hydra and then Ultron. My fault. And then Olivia getting experimented on, and then, and then, I never stopped. Because the truth is I don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference" Tony stands up and paces, "In her defense, I'm a handful. Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and Mom always made it work."

"You know, I'm glad Howard got married" Steve says, "only knew him when he was young and single."

"Oh, really? You two knew each other?" Tony questions, "He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you."

"I don't mean to make things difficult" Steve states.

"I know, because you're a very polite person" Tony smiles.

"If I see a situation pointed south I can't ignore it" Steve tells him, "Sometimes I wish I could."

"No, you don't" Tony sighs.

Steve smiles thinly, "No, I don't. Sometimes."

"Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth" Tony sighs, "But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-center instead of a Wakandan prison."

Steve frowns thoughtfully and picks up one of the fountain pens. He stands up and paces, then turns to Tony, "I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be safeguards."

"Sure. Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended" Tony tells him, "I'd file a motion to have you and Wanda reinstated."

"Wanda?" Steve questions, "What about Wanda?"

"She's fine" Tony states, "She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping her company."

"Oh God, Tony!" Steve exclaims, "Every time. Every time I think you see things the right way."

"What? It's a 100 acres with a lap pool" Tony reminds him, "It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people."

"Protection?" Steve scoffs, "Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony."

"She's not a US citizen" Tony reminds him.

"Oh, come on, Tony" Steve sighs.

"And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction" Tony adds.