Chapter Three: Watch the Road!!!

A few weeks later our training was finished and the first scenes of the movie were underway. I was having the time of my life, except for one thing: not knowing which scenes we would shoot on a day to day basis. Normally, I would go over the scenes for the next day the evening before, not only to memorize the lines, but also to rehearse being the person I was supposed to be, looking up similar scenes on youtube and seeing if there were any quirks or tics I needed to add. But, so far things were going good. The real Jessica was happily hidden in another part of the island, shooting only a few basic scenes. She had apologized for it, but when she suggested she would do more I didn't know how quickly I had to decline. So quickly that she looked at me a bit funny, and while there was only one main reason for doing as much as possible, I listed ten others.

The main reason of course, was Paul. We had fast become friends and we were already crossing over into that vague grey area where you are boyfriend and girlfriend in front of the camera but then you don't turn it off completely when you walk off the set. He teased me and constantly quizzed me about everything, from my opinion on pineapple on pizza to who I felt belonged in the White House more, Nixon or JFK. Since I couldn't exactly call the real Jessica to ask her all this trivia on the spot (I'm sure she would have thought I was insane if I had) I answered with what I thought. This meant that he was befriending the real me packaged up as someone else, something that felt wrong yet very right. I told myself as long as our boundaries were intact it should work and I wasn't doing anything wrong.

A few weeks into shooting we would do a scene in a car, outlining Pauls character Jared a bit while he drives into town with me, Sam. The scene called for us to start making out while we were driving and since it would be on a real road with real cars, I had asked if that wasn't too dangerous. Paul had laughed at me, saying he was an excellent driver (I almost rolled my eyes and said I know that before I remembered I wasn't supposed to be so sure) but a gnawing worry had remained with me.

I shouldn't have been surprised to see him coming towards me, but he still caught me off guard.

"Come on, let's practise that car scene."

With a huge smile he took my hand (yes please) and took me towards the truck he would be driving in the scene, a red monster obviously rescued from a junkyard (props, like wardrobe, hadn't spent much on this film ...) 

"Ready?"

Since I wasn't the one driving, that question should maybe have worried me but I didn't react. We drove off the movie terrain onto the streets of the beautiful Bahama town and onto the interstate next. I had the window down completely and enjoyed the warm breeze through my hair while I overlooked the landscape. It was beautiful and I never once tired of looking out at it. 

"You see that? That's our next filming location."

He pointed past me at a remote beach location that was as pristine as the garden of Eden. It almost seemed a shame to put anything on it, even if it was only a beach chair and a table. I turned to say that to him when I saw to my horror he was looking straight at me. Mind you, we were going close to 90 miles per hour and the road was full of cars. 

"Shouldn't you look ahead?"

He didn't move his head but a glint in his eye told me that he had said something just to make me notice. How long had we been going like this?? Long enough for him to feel the need to alert me to it, or just now and had he drawn my attention immediately? I didn't ponder that question for too long but instead I nervously looked ahead, you know, the direction he should be looking in. 

"Jared can you please watch the road?"

A low laugh beside me that I didn't place immediately. What was funny? Then I realised my mistake. Problem was that Paul was so entwined character wise with who he was playing, and I spent so many hours calling him Jared (not Jerry as the script first called for, I changed that by accident on the first day of shooting and they kept it in) that I called him Jared and not Paul off set pretty often too ... 

"Sorry, but seriously, watch the road?"

I looked in his eyes, not an easy thing to do because I always felt I got lost in them, pleading with mine to please pay attention. I was rewarded with a smile, a quick brush of his hand on my cheek and, mercifully, a turn of his head to face ahead.

"Don't worry I can do that anytime."

Anytime huh??? 

I knew exactly what I would be doing the day after ... I was going to challenge his cocky anytime ...