Chapter 48 - Cheaper stuff

Footsteps. One after the other. It was continuous sliding and slipping of leather against the recently polished floors as the green clad prince tries his best to grace through the palace as elegantly as he could. Despite his more desperate shouts.

"Anna!" Loki yells, racing through the kitchen as maids and cooks glare his way. "What is it with you lot?"

"You may be the prince but you best fix what you had broken," the head maid glares. Of anyone in the palace, Missus Diana scared Loki the most since childhood.

With a quick nod, he works his way through every corridor. "Anna!" He yells over and over until finally setting sight on her.

"Don't talk to me," she hardly acknowledges him, continuing to knit small hats for the children of other maids.

"Anna, I need to discuss-"

"I know my place and that is not to come between royal family matters, you've made that quite clear," she pats her lap for a small boy called Ellion to sit on, fitting on the woolly accessory and sending him off.

"Anna, I didn't mean-"

"You made this mess, you fix it. After what you said, I realised I'm done being the peacekeeper, and I'm done with you," she stands and lifts a little girl into her arms. "You're on your own, Loki,"

"Darling-"

"Remember, I am nothing but your sister's lady in waiting. It's my place," she turns and walks off as other children chase after happily with toys. "Send word to Thor, Loki will return to Earth soon to fix things," Anna whispers to Sif who hid behind the corner she turns.

~~~

Days turned to weeks, you still hadn't left your quarters. Food was left by your door but hardly eaten. Anna had hardly visited you, your mother putting off doing so as per Anna's informative rant of worry, Loki knew not to test your patience any longer.

In fact he had his plan slowly form while Frigga grew concerned until she was able to withstand your request any longer.

"Pumpkin?" Frigga knocks happily in your door, "may I come in?"

"Does no one respect simple instructions?" You whisper into the pillows.

"My dearest, you have not spoken to me, barely eaten, let alone left your room... you self isolate as you did during your youth," she laughs, heavenly tone and motherly sigh after.

"I find no use in doing so. Nothing gives my life meaning,"

That dull voice made her heart drop to the pit of her gut. "Y/n," Frigga sat on your bed.

"Just leave me... mother, please, I don't want to talk right now,"

"But you will need to eat," she summons a small box of chocolates. "Maybe even some sweets would suffice,"

"No, I'm not hungry,"

Frigga drops her head, placing one hand on your shoulder while the other conjured some bubbles. They drift until one pops on your nose. The Queen waited for your laugh or indication of a smile, but there was nothing.

There was only one explanation for this behaviour.

"Heartbreak is one of the universe's most cruel acts," she stands. "It is painful, but letting it sit will not wash it away. A hole does not seal unless one takes time to sew it shut; one must pick up that thread and needle at one point or the hole may continue to rip away until it's unfixable,"

"It's already unfixable," you say bluntly.

"Then seek out a new one. Hearts form when a person is willing to lend you theirs," she rubs your shoulders comfortingly before placing a kiss to your temple. "I'm always here for you, Y/n,"

"I know," moving from her touch, you sniffle softly, waiting until the door shut so you could finally let out your cries.

~~~

"And where are you going?" Frigga caught sight of Loki running down the halls like a mad man.

"Nothing! I mean nowhere!" He stammers.

"Do not lie to your mother," she warns the god who gulps nervously.

"Midgard..."

"And why is that? You've only been back less than two weeks," she folds her arms, "what did you do?- And where is Anna? She would usually be by your side-" then it dawned on the queen. "Loki..."

"Listen! I have a perfectly good explanation and reason for all this!" He holds his hands up. "Okay maybe it was a selfish reason... but I'm fixing it now!"

"You better, or you're grounded for the next half century,"

"Mother!" He whines in protest. "I am not a-" Loki then saw the look, "right, that's very fair, forgive me,"

~~~

Strange walks through Sanctum once more, collecting dust with his gloves. The grime coating his two fingers, a mark left in its spot.

"Wong! Have any of the students come by to clean like I asked?!" He yells into the sun-lit emptiness. "Apparently not,"

The cloak detaches from him, floating in front and wiping the sorcerer's cheeks which still had traces of tears. Stephen did his best to seem okay, but despite doing his usual rounds, when he wasn't doing anything he would retreat back to his room.

So, now, here he was, the night finally coming around. Quiet and uneventful, he opted to relax. The chair cushioned him, velvet against his clothes and yet hardly comforting. All there was to do was drain the remainder on the glass in hand.

"Switched to the cheaper stuff, I see," Wong had notes.

"Eh... it's not too bad," Strange looks at the amber liquid. "I'm fine, you know?"

"I'm sure. It's only been a few weeks," he hums, staring out the sanctum window which Strange sat in front of. "She isn't gone. Y/n is alive and well on Asgard,"

"That's the thing... I don't know if she actually is 'well'," he air quotes at Wong, "the shit I said- after all the trust-" train of thought cut off, he dismisses his words with a sigh.

"Give it a while, there are other things that can give your life meaning, remember?" That voice. Those words. It couldn't be... right?

"Christine?"

~~~

Lol have fun with that

- Anna ❤️