Chapter 40 - Worshippers?

The school gym was packed with students, teachers and parents all wandering around to socialise. Peter was busy talking with Ned and MJ as you enter the crowded space with Stephen. Sunlight from the high windows to bleachers of all sorts of colours, people bump past with small sorry's and loud laughs.

His arm was on your waist, drumming fingers to the slight music he could hear. It was all to calm you, he knew to do this the moment your hand took his. "It's alright," he whispers, kissing your interlocked hands. "How about we get something to eat and leave?"

"I'll be fine," you give an assured nod. "If it gets too much, I'll tell you,"

"That's my girl," he chuckles, kissing your cheek.

~~~

"Enough now, princess," Stephen says when you go to grab another donut.

"They're free, they have plenty, it's fine," you much on it with a challenging grin.

"You'll ruin your dinner,"

"If I get full I'll simply take it back to the tower ," gleaming when he kisses your forehead as a means of giving up, your face then drops at a weird fuzzy feeling in your chest.

What in the Nines was that?

"What's wrong?" Stephen feels you tense up and grab a hold of his coat. "Y/n?"

"Nothing... I got this weird-" there it was again, like a magnet was urging you towards it. Cotton stuffing seemed to fill your chest, one single laugh calling out. Following that was a small high pitched noise, pounding against your temple causing your knees to nearly buckle

"Y/n?" Stephen leads you to a chair which you try to refuse. "What's wrong? You need to tell me what's wrong," he grew anxious at the distorting features, painting your uncomfortable state.

"I need to go-" there was that laugh again, but this time it all faded away. Every bit of pain was gone and a small tingly sensation was drawing you towards this laugh. The tips of your finger let out small bits of smoke while you push Stephen away.

He wasn't so convinced to let you off on your own but once he saw you walking fine, he held back a little. This was obviously something important.

Mingling through the crowd, small sorry's and pardon's given, the laugh seemed louder. Every step leading you to... a group of students?

On the neck of the one who's laugh you were hearing was a necklace. A symbol was made using intricate loops, the metal shined perfectly, though it was obviously handmade.

Your heart dropped as you grabbed their shoulder. "Where did you get that?" You glare at the student.

"Woah! Back up a little," they look at you with a slightly angered look, "what are you talking about?" They gave a small push so your hand moved off them.

"That symbol. Do you have any idea what it means?" Your tone dropped into a dangerous one.

"Yeah? It's Y/n's symbol, from Norse mythology- fuck off," their tongue clicks a few times. "I would say sorry but you kind- did just-" their tongue clicks a few more times, "grab me rather aggressively,"

"I'm... sorry," you awkwardly drop step back. "Why are you wearing it?"

"Witchcraft, I recently made an altar for Y/n but she isn't really responding," they grumble. "Hey, I still got Lilith to keep me company but I'm kinda bummed because I was looking forward to working with Y/n,"

"Really?" Your heart felt tight all of the sudden, water welling up bit by bit. "I thought no one cared about m- her anymore,"

"That's bullshit, I've got a ton of people online who have Altars for Y/n, but apparently she never replies," the student sighs, "I put this slice of (favourite flavour) cake from the cake I made yesterday,"

"You did?" A tear slowly pricked the edge of your eyes.

"Your mom-" they hit themselves involuntarily, apologising quickly with a laugh, "yeah, no idea if she will like it but it's worth a try... uh, my name's Vieanna by the way or just Vivvy I don't really mind,"

"Y/n... Laufeydottir," you hold your hand out.

Their head twitches, tongue clicking again, "I'm sorry, what?" They laugh in confusion. "You're shitting my dick right?"

"Pardon?" Your confusion took over.

"Nothing- I'm so sorry, I just- you're actually- woah," they were stammering over their words.

"It's fine, I'm... I actually didn't know people still offered things to me... I didn't think they knew I still existed,"

"We give you offerings all the time! All of us really want to work with you," they beam, "don't you get like... notified? Or something like that?"

"No... I stopped visiting the offerings room, thought it was giving me false hope checking in everyday..." using your magic to conjure a small box, you open it to reveal a mountain of cards, untidily noting different offerings and requests.

"Oh hell yeah! That's my cake!" They point to a card showing a cake covered in green and black icing. "What is this? All the offerings from this year?"

"This... month," you stutter subtly.

~~~

"Where did you go off to?" Stephen sees you scurry over with a big smile. "Alright, who are you and what did you do with my Y/n? You've never smiled this much,"

"I met this wonderful person called Vieanna-"

"Oh, Vivvy? They're so cool in AP literature," Peter finished his cupcake. "We're only friends because they called me mommy and hit me with their book,"

"I'm sorry what?" Stephen snaps his head to Peter.

"They have tourettes. Even got Flash in trouble for watching Ratatouille in class once by mimicking Remi," he grabs another cupcake, "I will quote this from their mouth 'my tics go apeshit for some good Pixar',"

"Noted..." Stephen nods slowly, "I don't think I want to know where the tic 'mommy' came from,"

"Right, anyways," you interrupt, "apparently people still know I exist! They still offer me things- they want to work with me! They care," another wave of emotions was starting to hurdle down.

"Oh, Y/n, don't cry," his hand cups your face, "it's a good thing, isn't it?"

"It's an amazing thing! I thought for so long that people didn't care about me... thought they forgot about me centuries ago,"

"People are dumb if they forget you, you're so cool," Peter stuffs another donut in his mouth.

"So I can't have any but he can?" You sniffle while changing the subject.

"Fine, enough for both of you," he shakes his head. "I'm very happy for you, my darling," one small kiss was placed on your cheek while Peter cringes jokingly.

"Gross,"

~~~

I'm posting this then heading out to buy more stuff for my room 😩

- Anna ❤️