22 ✧ Running Away and Unloved Sons

1978 April __________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

The spring mornings were typically delightful, as they entailed new life and flowers, the air was crisper during spring, you could comfortably wear a cardigan without having a long sleeve shirt on underneath. Yet, not all could see such beauty through the cold, with the grounds warming up the bitterness of winter still lingered, in both weather and in Alexander. 

He had his final warning from his parents, receive the dark mark or be completely removed from the L/N family entirely. Letters upon letters were written and sentiments, both fake and sincere, were shared. Mr L/N was often more polite with his remarks, trying to play a father who loved his son, when the only conversation they could hold was about Quidditch. Whilst Madam L/N ruled with an iron fist, refusing to have anything but her way. 

Alexander was so close to running away and joining the band of unwanted sons at the Potter's estate, but there were two issues that had prevented him from doing so entirely: 

Number one: Euphemia and Fleamont Potter only ever had a singular son, no doubt taking in Sirius was both difficult and effortless - they loved all his friends and weren't afraid of sticking up for them like they were their own. However, they were getting older and rumbustious teenage boys with no future prospects were not something they needed. Fleamont was edging on 70, whilst Euphemia was a fair few years younger - but not a great deal. 

Number two: the most important of them all, the Y/N factor. To leave his own sister in the snake's nest would be practically leading Y/N to her own demise, he would never be able to look his own flesh and blood in the eyes again. Whether or not she would forgive him is an entirely different thing, if he didn't take the mark, if he didn't protect her, then the role would fall onto her. 

Y/N was the most kind-hearted Slytherin he knew, which was sort of like being the tallest dwarf, it's not overly impressive; but it was in her nature to be both caring and calculating. It would break her heart to not only create a divide between the two but to abandon her completely. Rather than blame him, like any normal person would do, she would blame herself: 'was I not a good enough sister?' or 'could I not protect him enough?' were words he never wanted to hear her say about the current situation. 

Marlene was as supportive as ever, but he knew that it wouldn't last forever, either he would become a death eater or he would be crucified; and either or, the outcome wouldn't be the most pleasant. 

The sound of music flowed through the Slytherin common room, regardless of it being late hours of the night, it was intoxicating; the eerie lull of classic rock, pure music, caused him to beckon to it's call. He slipped on his slippers and robe, like an elderly man getting up to pour some coffee out of the percolator. Alexander shuffled to see a distraught Y/N, sitting by the empty fireplace, her tears were heavy as she was surrounded by dozens of opened letters. 

The envelopes were familiar, they were black, with a red wax seal. He walked closer, and picked one up off the floor, the wax seal was that of the L/N family and the name on the front read his own. The girl turned back to face him, her eyes became sharp daggers that ripped at his skin, they tore him apart. 

"Hello." Alexander called from his spot from behind the coffee table. 

"What are these?" Y/N asked, her mascara half-way down her face. 

"I was hoping you would answer that question." He calmly breathed out, he turned the envelop he was holding around and took out the bit of parchment inside it. His heart dropped suddenly, as he read the date, words and his mother's handwriting. "I see." He murmured. "These are an excellent forgery." He lied, he had thought of nothing else to do.