19 ✧ Romance and Friendship

1978 February __________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

To say that Sirius was in love with the thought of his brother's lover, or potential lover rather, was the understatement of the season. He sat in the three broomsticks, being only months away from his graduation, and watched as Regulus and Y/N giggled, laughed, chatted and gazed at one another in a doe-eyed trance. Perhaps his aggression towards his younger brother was mute, how was he to control that both of them would be interested in the girl?

Although the elder Black son would never purposefully ruin his brother's relationship, he certainly knew more about Regulus than Y/N knew. Beyond the memories of simpler days revolving around mud pies and stupid childhood nostalgia, Regulus was being pressured into taking up the dark mark. Due to Y/N's friendship with both brothers, they had (the Black brothers) been patching things up. Quite slowly, mind you. Yet, something Regulus had shared, was that due to Sirius' disappearance, he was being forced into taking the dark mark by their parents.

As if being totally infatuated with the girl his brother loved, he had also had all the guilt and shame of leaving Regulus when he needed him the most. At the start of last year, Regulus was inclined to take the dark mark, yet his parents couldn't understand why the sudden distaste for it, thus comes the parental suppression and force; he no longer has a choice. Either he choses to take the dark mark or he's out. 

"Regulus, you can't just say things like that!" Y/N laughed, taking a sip of her butter beer. Her and the boy in front of her had began getting a little less platonic, obviously, but now they were somewhat showing such to the world around them. 

"I can, who here would bother pay attention to us in such detail that they stop an entire conversation." Regulus laughed. His brother would. "Regardless." He began, as he checked the time on his silver wrist watch. "I should get going, Evan and I have some important things to attend too." 

Y/N winced at the sound of that name, Rosier was one of the most foul creatures to walk the earth. "I thought we agreed you would stop talking to him?" 

"Did we?" Regulus responded, his expression hardened. 

"Yes." Y/N rolled her eyes. "Doesn't matter, go have fun." 

"As long as you're okay with it, your highness." Regulus rolled his eyes back to her. 

"By royal decree, it is okay." She said in a dimmed matter. 

"Great." Regulus nodded, giving her an awkward situationship-like fist pump. Sirius took this as his opportunity to strike, as his brother shuffled away from the table, he got up from his position at his own table and slid onto Regulus' empty chair. 

Y/N looked up from her half empty drink, she saw staring back at her the grey-ish chocolate eyes that belong to Sirius Black. He was clad in his usual wear, a leather jacket, ripped jeans, a band t-shirt and some variation of dusty boots; today he had tied his hair back into a messy bun, with a few strands sticking out. Y/N tilted her head for a moment, scrutinising his appearance. 

"You look better with your hair out." She admitted. 

"Absolutely not, the girls love it when I tie my hair up." Sirius joked, the girl across from him laughed slightly, rolling her eyes at his usual behaviour. "So, Regulus and you?" 

"Oh." She mumbled. "You know, I was expecting him to ask me out by now, I believe he's just dragging it out."

"I saw the fist pump."

"Awkward, right?" She groaned. "He's so smart yet he just." She paused, fixing her gaze onto Sirius, there was something different about his eyes. Something she should have seen before. "Oh my god." She uttered upon realisation. 

"What?" Sirius quirked an eyebrow in her direction. 

"I... have to get going, I'll see you later, Sirius." She hurriedly began packing her things away, Sirius tried to stop her but to no avail. She got up, gave Sirius a curt nod and began marching her way back up to Hogwarts. 

Y/N couldn't help but think perhaps she was insane, but it was genuine. It was the spark in his eyes that she had when looking at Regulus, the same one Alexander had for Marlene. 

"Sirius is in love with me." She muttered, feeling dreadfully awful. 

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

"Why on earth do you even bother hang out with her?" Evan groaned, sitting across from Regulus at their shared table in the courtyard. Regulus simply rolled his eyes at his comment; it was something Evan enjoyed (being a dick that is). "She's atrocious!" Evan commented once more. 

"You have no clue how wonderful she is." Regulus persisted. "She's kind and caring, she has a certain type of glimmer about her, something I can't quite explain no matter how many words are within the English dialect." He huffed. 

"If you're so sure about someone so different to us, then why are you here?" Evan mused, a playful and sickening smirk on his features. 

"You know exactly why." Regulus said solemnly. 

"So you're getting it, for sure you are?" Evan changed his tune, to one as excited as a child in a joke shop or a candy store. 

Regulus paused for a moment. "As sure as Snape." 

"Excellent!" Evan grinned.

"Yep, just spectacular."

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐