10 ✧ A Christmas Party and Sneaky Slugs

1977 December __________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

Christmas was the most favourable time of year for a better part of society, people got time off work, school was put on hold and people had a tendency of being more charitable in these times. Not Y/N. She hated the dank and awful feeling of peeling off snow-drenched clothes, the butterbeer never tasted as good in this time and the fire wood took too long to start since it was mostly damp; causing it to fizzle up and start to smoke over an actual fire.

The main reason she hated it was because of her parents, the maids would forge letters from them and presents from them too. Alexander knew it too, yet, he likes to pretend they actually cared, he liked to escape it all. When Y/N and her brother were younger, they hated each other every month but the start, middle and end of December. They were alone but not if they had each other, they had even caught the maids in the act - but they brushed it off as nonsense.

"Christmas is in the air!" James yelled, putting an arm around Lily as she huffed, they were awfully cute, she gave Y/N a small look and walked away - mainly preparing herself for that evening. "I can just smell Ma's cookies from here!" He exclaimed once more, Sirius let out a content sigh at the thought.

"Mum does make good cookies." Sirius nodded, agreeing with James.

"Walburga makes cookies?" Y/N asked, tilting her head a little, she understood to a certain degree of his situation, but not fully knowing the details of their relationship.

"Can you imagine that woman trying to make cookies?" Sirius scoffed. "You've been besties with Reggie, you should know..." Sirius paused for a moment before clearing his throat. "How is he doing anyway?" His tone had a drastic shift, he went from his usual goofy and snarky tone to a much more neurotic one. Like he would break at any moment from pure sentimental reason.

"Why do you care?" Y/N raised her eyebrow in his direction. "You've never showed much interest in him prior to this."

"He's my brother." Sirius answered, serious and hurt. "I care for him, it's my fault he's left alone in that hell - I can't help but feel bad about it." He shrugged, covering his eyes a little as he said so.

"I'm sorry, Sirius, I didn't mean it like that... I just-I just find it strange that you show interest in him now." Y/N became very quiet. "I didn't mean it like that, please understand."

"It's okay, just want to know how he's doing without having to force him to talk to me, or... be seen with me at all." Sirius answered, trying to cover his dismay with a nonchalant and chill tone. He masked it well to anyone who didn't know him, but the four boys in front of him saw everything.

"He's... well-uh he's breathing, that's what matters." Y/N truthfully responded, she wasn't going to sugar coat it for an almost eighteen year old. He was a man and was going to be treated as such. "You should talk to him, just not in front of people, make him change his ways." Y/N smiled. "I love him to death but my god can he really get aggressive."

"In what way?" Alexander asked, interjecting in the conversation with his usual overprotective glances, which soon turned into stares. "If he's-!"

"No, he's not Alex, calm your tits." Y/N cut him off, rolling her eyes as she did so. "I just simply meant in the hating-muggles kind of way, I can't keep making up dumb reasons as to why I'm obsessed with muggle-culture." Her breathing began to draw in and out at a quickened pace. "Anyway, you should definitely talk to him, he needs his brother."