The Mantle of Responsibility

Start from the beginning

"If we turn the dragons loose, tens o thousands will die in the firestorms."

I roll my eyes a little at Tyrion. The Lion without it's roar. That's all he is. I am not saying he's wrong but he doesn't have the stomach for what war truly is. I honestly don think anyone in this room other than me does.

"It's called war."

Elliara Sand states with venom in her words.

"You don't have the stomach for it, scurry back into hiding."

"I know how you wage war. We don't poison little girls here! Myrcella was innocent."

"She was a Lannister. There are no innocent Lannisters. My greatest regret is that Oberyn died helping you escape King's-"

"Enough!"

I shout, slamming my fist onto the table whilst shooting out of my chair. Daenerys looks at me with wide eyes as does everyone else.

"Enough of the bickering bullshit!"

I nearly shout as I look around at everyone.

"Have any of you actually been in a war? Have any of you actually used strategy before?"

"I defended King's Landing-"

"Not a big accomplishment there because it was against Stannis fucking Baratheon, a damn joke."

I shake my head at Tyrion.

"Then what do you suggest then, whatever your name is?"

Lady Olenna asks, eyebrow raise in intrigue as I look all over the map. Daenerys moves to my side and takes my hand but I pull away, refusing to meet her gaze.

"You know..."

I start, trying to think of the right words for a moment.

"The poets and Maesters, when they speak of war, talk of..shield walls, of spears and arrows flying, of the blade beating against the shield like drums of war. They speak of heros who die from the sword and spear while feeling no fear. But I learned in my time that war is really about food and allies."

I say, looking to Olenna.

"You, Lady Olenna, are in control of the entire Reach, the most agricultural productive kingdom. You know war. From the Nine Penny Kings to the Five Kings, the Tyrell's have fought. War is about being able to feed men and horses."

I glance at Yara.

"So, before we go gung-ho over to King's Landing and destroy the lives of everyone, we need to guarantee that we can feed ourselves and everyone else."

I look out at everyone around the table.

"The army that eats wins. The army that doesn't...they starve."

I sigh, taking the pitcher of wine and pouring myself a glass, quickly downing it. Daenerys and Edric look at me with concern before I clear my throat.

"Lady Greyjoy will escort Lady Elliara, Edric, and I to Sunspear where our banners are waiting. We will sail back with our army and the Tyrell supplies will mainly remain on Dragonstone while we siege the city."