love is all we've got (killian jones, 3)

While everyone prepared to go find Pan, Esme prepared to remain with Henry at their camp, once again

She didn't bother hiding her annoyance about being left out. The demon was already inside her, what could be worse than that? She felt more than okay, apart from the occasional ache creeping in her body.

As soon as Esme and Killian caught each other's gaze, they smiled, last night's events on both their minds. And just like that, a bright grin replaced the grimace on Esme's face.

"Why the long face, love?"

"I have to stay here, again, while you all go to defeat Pan. I feel useless"

Killian nodded, understanding Esme's bad mood.

"If it's any consolation, you're not missing anything. I'd rather stay here with you"

The woman's smile widened, heat rising to her cheeks, and she spent a second too long staring into Killian's blue eyes. He was looking at her so hard, she couldn't look away.

"I feel like I'm sitting at the kid's table at a party"

Killian laughed, and shook his head. But before he could say anything else, David called out they had to get going. Dedicating her one last smile, Killian joined the group, leaving Esme and Henry behind.

~•~

Esme was in the process of lighting a fire while Henry played with some rocks, when they heard something moving near the trees.
The noises continued, clearly informing there was someone there. Esme shot Henry a look as she walked quietly, indicating that he must stay there, while she went to figure out what the noise was.

Not finding anything, Esme was about to go back to Henry, when a body appeared quite close to hers.

"Hi, Esme"

She rolled her eyes, unimpressed by the appearance of the person that tormented her entire existence and her friends'.

"Pan. What are you doing here?"

She wasted no time in pinning Pan against a tree and pressing her sword against his throat. Still, all he did was smirk.

"I came to have a little chat"

She gritted her teeth, uninterested in anything he had to say.

"How are you carrying the situation inside of you, love?" Pan smirked.

"Fine. I'm fine"

"Oh, really? What are those pains you keep feeling, then?"

Esme furrowed her eyebrows, unconsciously lessening her grip on the sword. How did Peter Pan always manage to know everything? She placed the blade even harder against Pan's throat, enjoying how he struggled to breathe.

"I don't know what you're talking about"

"Oh, but you do" he giggled, and with a swift movement, he managed to throw Esme's sword to the ground, and place her against the tree instead, his hand finding its way to her throat.

"I wanted to kill you. I really wanted to. I'm so glad to see you're doing the job for me"

He smiled, tightening his grip, and now it was Esme's turn to have a hard time breathing. Until he vanished, just as he had first appeared.

Esme stayed there for a minute, trying to catch her breath. Until now, she had not paid much attention to the pains she kept feeling, she had assumed it was normal, considering she had a demon in her. But now, she couldn't help feeling uneasy. What had Pan meant? Maybe she had been too quick to suggest using her body as a trap for a literal evil spirit. But it's not like she could do anything about it now.

She didn't even consider mentioning it to the group: they would only worry and consider her incapacitated and unable to do anything, she refused to keep babysitting. She didn't lie when she said she had great pride.

Having recomposed herself, Esme walked back to Henry, who was clumsily holding a sword, preparing for battle, and she thought it was adorable.

"What happened? Are you okay?" he asked.

"It was nothing, don't worry" she smiled, trying to hide her concern. "Now, we have to work on the way you hold a sword".

~•~

When everyone came back, Emma ran to hug Henry, the entire group glowing with happiness and cheerfulness.

"Mom?"

"We did it, Henry, we're going home"

Regina hugged Henry too, tears of joy filling her eyes.

Esme looked around, trying to find confirmation in the rest of her friend's faces. Snow and Charming held hands, proudly beaming. Then, Esme looked at Killian, who had been looking at her all along.

"We caught Pan's shadow, it should be enough to get us back" Killian informed Esme, and she could see the relief in his features.

Esme was so content, she couldn't help squealing and wrapping her arms around Killian's neck.
Surprised, but in a good way, Killian wasted no time in hugging her back, his arms firmly holding her waist, bringing her closer.

When they pulled away, Esme's heart was beating so fast she felt she was going to collapse. Until out of nowhere, she did exactly that. Her vision turned black and she lost control of her body, a feeling of weakness and burning was the last thing she sensed, before she passed out in Killian's arms.

...

where do i sign up to get choked by pan too????