|| S E V E N ||

J E D D A H
S A T U R D A Y

The Sakhir GP went as well as could be expected even though Toto was in a foul mood by the end of the race; the new FIA rules about team principals no longer having direct communication with the race director was something that Toto and the others had agreed to but come race time when emotions were already running high, he was regretting agreeing to it.

I had spent the race in the steward's room sitting next to Michael. I'd never watched the race from this view before, but I found myself watching the stewards more than the race itself. They were all incredibly observant and their knowledge of the rules was second to none. With every questionable move on track, they would launch into a quick discussion to decide on whether an investigation was warranted and if there would be any penalties.

I'd left Bahrain for Jeddah early on Monday morning, choosing to spend a few extra days in Saudi to get ahead of some work. Toto arrived late Thursday evening and even though he had his own room, he pretty much moved into mine. It had been challenging keeping our distance from each other while on track but there was always the secret looks, the cheeky touches as we passed each other. It's only early days but whatever we've got going on made me grin like a schoolgirl with a crush.

The weekend kicked off smoothly but right in the middle of Practice 1, my phone started ringing off the hook. Our clients in Rome had decided there was a crisis and instead of calling the new project manager, they decided that I was the only one capable of solving their issues. Sending my apologies, I left for the hotel before the start of the next practice session to try and get this issue sorted.

Toto hadn't joined me on Friday evening but just as well, I'd stayed up all night working anyway. Unfortunately, I had to miss the sessions today as well, so I was incredibly grateful when there was a light knock on the door and the man himself slipped through the door.

The look of concern when he saw me made my heartache, I could tell that he was staring at the shadows under my eyes and my swollen lips from chewing on them from stress. But he didn't say a thing, instead choosing to kiss me gently and leading me to the bed.

His voice was deep but soothing as he updated me on the results from the day. He'd given me gentle kisses while he stroked my skin and played with my hair.

"Let's get some sleep," he whispered, adjusting his position to cradle me in his arms. I turned away from him and curled up slightly to let him pull me against his chest, holding me tight.

I was comfortable and exhausted, but my mind was still whirring with issues, questions, graphs, and data that had passed over the screen of my laptop throughout the day. I could feel Toto's grip on me loosen and his breathing even out. I made sure not to wake him and slid out from under him, heading straight back to my laptop.

*
T O T O

I'm not sure what woke me up but was content to try and go back to sleep until I reached over and instead of Alex, I found the bed next to me cold and empty. The digital clock on the bedside table next to me caught my eye – 03:30.

Where did she go?

It was then that I heard the light tapping of fingers on a keyboard and her soft voice muttering to herself. I looked over and there she was, sitting in the dark at the desk, only dressed in the shirt she was wearing when I arrived and only illuminated by the light of her laptop. In front of the light, I could that her feet were resting on the chair and even though she was typing feverishly, her bare legs and shoulders were trembling with cold.