She playfully smacks him.  "Hush."

"...So how do you want to bring in your birthday tonight?"

"Well..." She glances at her phone.  "I was thinking about going to a party Kayveon is DJing tonight."

"I don't think going to a party you found out while stalking his IG, is a good idea."

Veronica chuckles.  "He told me about the party, you fucker.  That's why I was looking on his page."

Sam's eyes get big.  "You saw him?"

"Yemi really doesn't tell you anything, huh?"

"Mannn," he says, shaking his head.  "There's no pillow talking with her ass.  I tried to get her to tell me your business while fucking her and her ass would not fold.  Well, I did have her ass folded up, but you know what I mean."

"After hearing you two, last night... I wouldn't doubt it."

"Yo.  I only said that shit, so you'd know how it feels when you volunteer your sex life with me."

She waves him off.  "Oh.  You can't get payback that way.  I haven't had sex in months.  Anyone is welcomed to talk about their shit with me.  Just don't go into details..."

He shakes his head at her.

"But yeah, I ran into him and he asked for my number.  I didn't give it to him, but I asked for his IG in case I decided to go to the party."

"Alright, let's go then.  You want me to invite Monty and Russ?"

"Let me ask him first if I can invite them."

"Text me when you find out.  Imma go get us some food."

"Awe, thanks cousin."

"Yeah, whatever."  He playfully smacks her head before leaving.

As soon as the door closes, Veronica takes a deep breath and then sends Kayveon a message.

___

Veronica, Yemi, Sam, Monty, and Russ arrive at the party.  They go to the door, and check in with a woman holding a clipboard full of names.

"Veronica Carter, plus four." 

The woman finds her name, checks it off, and then opens the door for them to enter.  As soon as they step inside, they are taken aback by how beautiful the place is decorated with nothing but fancy lights.

"Yo.  This looks like they're about to play elevator music all night," Sam says, breaking the silence.

"Nah.  He's not that type of DJ," Veronica tells him.

"V, if this shit is boring, I'm clowning your ass all night," Russ warns her.

*

ONE HOUR LATER

Monty and Russ are on the dance floor, smiling at a couple of women, twerking on them.

Veronica and Yemi are at the DJ booth, next to Kayveon, smiling and shaking their heads at Monty and Russ. 

Yemi glances over at Kayveon, and then whispers to Veronica.  "Was he that fine in high school?"

Veronica does a double take at Yemi.  "You think they're fine?"

"No, girl."  Yemi chuckles.  "I'm talking about your ex."

"Phew.  Girl, I was about to clown your ass.  Ain't nothin' fine about their old asses."

They both laugh.  "But yeah, he looks the same from then.  Just has facial hair now."

"So, what kind of girlfriend were you?  What was the relationship like?"