Chapter 13

A week has gone by since the incident with Brandt. Today is his last day cleaning the barracks.

Meanwhile, I've been practically living at the horse stables. Truth be told, I enjoy taking care of the horses. Something about these strong animals made me feel calm.

-----

As I was brushing one of the horses, from the corner of my eye, I saw Hange by the entrance of the stables, peaking in. I sighed, then said aloud, "You don't have to come by every day!"

She finally came out of hiding. She walked into the stables, and as she came up to me, she said, "I figure you get bored, so I come to keep you some company." I pet the horse I was brushing, then grabbed a rag I had in my back pocket and wiped the sweat off my forehead and neck.

"How's everyone holdin' up?" I asked. "They're coming around," she answered. I glanced at the horse again and asked,

"Do you have any idea how that scout found out about me?"

"I've been investigating. The former Commander, Keith Shadis, my father and I made sure that no one knew about you were recruited to the Scout Regiment," she assured.

I believe her.

Throughout these past couple years of knowing her, I know that I can trust her.

Leon was a good person too. Although I was hostile towards him and Hange in the beginning, he still treated me with respect.

There were moments in which he treated me as if I was his own daughter.

When it comes to the former Commander, I never had the chance of meeting him. He had retired before I became a soldier. I knew that he trained some of our scouts who were a part of the 104th Cadet Corps and was known to be very intimidating and rough.

I wiped my forehead again with the cloth and said, "We need to find out as soon as possible. I have a bad feeling that this little 'reveal' isn't just for show. There has to be a reason behind it." Hange nodded in agreement.

"Well, you should get back to the others. I don't want you to get into trouble for hanging around the stables, talkin' to me." She softly smiled and nodded.

Once she left, I went up to my noble steed, pet him and said, "Guess it's just you and me for now." He softly huffed. I let out a deep breath through my nose, stressed from this situation.

I want to get my mind off things.

At least for a few moments.

I glanced at my horse once more and had an idea. I unlocked and opened the stall gate, carefully letting my horse out. I got the necessary gear on him and was gonna ride around for a while.

Just to clear my mind.

I grabbed the reins and led him outside the stable. From afar, I could see everyone training their asses off. I feel content at the progress the newer scouts are making.

I walked beside my horse for a little bit. When I was far out enough, I mounted on my steed and signaled it to start running. We started going further and further away from the base. I was beginning to cool down from how fast my horse was sprinting.

Minutes later, Levi came by the horse stables to see if Y/N was doing her job. Immediately, he noticed she wasn't there and her horse was missing. He turned around and looked in the distance, only to faintly see her horseback riding.