Chapter 5

5 years went by since Y/N was taken out of the Underground.

Even though she was slowly appreciating Sandra's and the orphans' kindness throughout this time, she didn't put her guard down. Sandra would make several attempts to get close to Y/N, but had no luck. She kept her distance from everyone as much as she could and spoke very little.

Hange and Leon would visit Y/N every now and then. They'd go behind Miss Sandra's house and train her based on what she already knew. With each sparring session, she rapidly improved both her attacks and defense skills.

Since Sandra owned a large plot of land, Y/N also had the chance to be taught how to ride a horse with all the space. While doing so, it was noticeable to everyone that she grew fond of the horse she was learning to control.

...

The transition from Underground to the Orvud District is still strange to me.

I don't leave my room often, especially since the other orphans feel the need to speak to me all the time, however, this particular day was different.

-----

I decided to step out momentarily. As soon as I did, some of the younger ones noticed me. One of them, 3 year old Nicholas, came up to me and tugged on my pant leg. I looked down at the small child, wondering what he wanted.

Miss Sandra entered the room at that moment and noticed me. She approached me and smiled, then looked at the children and called out to one of them.

Flora.

She and I are close in age.

"Y/N, would you be a dear and go with Flora into town?" Miss Sandra asked.

"For what?" I asked dryly.

"I need her to get me some things but I don't think she'll be able to handle the load," she answered.

I glanced at Flora, who had a nervous smile appear on her face. I let out a small sigh and accepted.

Miss Sandra went up to Flora and handed her a basket, then began telling her what she needed to get. While she spoke with Flora, I went to my room briefly to get my cloak. When I returned, I saw Flora was ready to leave.

As we were about to leave, Nicholas went up to Flora and held her hand.

"Nico, you have to stay here. We'll be right back," Flora said to him. He pouted, then looked at me. He wants to come along too.

I sighed, then finally said, "Let him."

"Are you sure?" Flora asked, unsure.

"As long as you hold his hand, he'll be fine," I answered, gazing at the small child. He smiled brightly at me as I opened the door, all three of us exiting the home.

...

I followed Flora from behind since I'm still not familiar with the area. She held her basket in her left hand and held Nicholas's hand with her right. I looked around every now and then at the buildings and stands we walked by. Most of these buildings looked similar to the ones I've seen in the newspapers.

I focused back at Flora and Nicholas, making sure they were still in my line of sight.

People noticed Y/N walking by and started to stare. She was wearing the cloak Leon gave her and had an unbothered expression on her face. Something about her presence made the citizens feel slightly uneasy.