xiv. - white roses

heart·ache

/ˈhärdˌāk/

"emotional anguish or grief, typically caused by the loss or absence of someone loved."

December 27, 1995
Wednesday

s.g.

"Post is here!"

Hera and I wrestled, both of us wanting to be the first to the letters. Sirius, who was holding them, was amused and holding them above his head.

What Sirius didn't realize was that he was only an inch taller than Hera. All she had to do was stand up straighter to successfully get the letters. She whooped in victory when she did.

I, on the other hand, groaned in defeat. Me, Mrs. Weasley, and Mrs. Viziri were the shortest people here. The only person I actually knew who was shorter than me was Flynn, but only by two inches. Being short was fun sometimes when it comes to running away. I could run faster than Hera, but it was not fun in situations like these.

Hera handed me my letters, but I still took the opportunity to glance over and see who she received hers from. Professor Covington and her uncle Newt. Newt was expected, but I really wanted to know what Professor Covington said.

I looked at who my letter was from and a smile formed on my lips. Carrie.

Hera jumped onto one of the sofas in the sitting room, tearing open one of her letters with a spell rather than her hands. I couldn't wait to do magic outside of school. I would be able to get so much more done, and defend myself with something that wasn't just words. The smile on Hera's face was so wide that I knew her cheeks must be burning, but I was so happy she was that happy to receive a letter. If there was anyone who deserved the most happiness in the world, it was her.

I sat on the sofa that mirrored hers and read my own letter.

Stella,

   I was so thrilled to hear that you've gotten to meet some of your biological family. I know that's something you've always wanted, and I'm over the moon for you. I hope you had a happy Christmas. Things have been quiet at my house, aside from Bobby. He's always upstairs practicing and it's very annoying. Have you heard about their band drama? Apparently Alex and Luke got into a fight over something. I've started working on a new song for Dirty Candi called 'To some it all up.' It's different from anything I've written in the past, and I'm worried the girls won't like it, but I want you to hear it when we get back to school. I'm thinking about you. I'm always thinking about you these days. I just really want to kiss and hold you again, and sing and dance along to more songs with you. I can't wait to see you again after the break and hear all about it.

With lots of love,
Carrie

There was strong heat on my cheeks. I needed to write back to her immediately and tell her I felt the same. I wanted to include her gift, but I hadn't gotten it yet. Perhaps I could convince Mum to stop by a store when we go out later.

Sirius peered over my shoulder. "Who is that from?"

My cheeks flushed even more as I said, "The girl I'm seeing."