1. Weak point

There is a conflict brewing around Bajor, around the station called Deep Space Nine. The Dominion has joined forces with the Cardassian Union and now they are sitting safely entrenched in their territory and arming up, so they can take on the whole quadrant. The galaxy is holding its breath for now and people are going about their everyday lives, but it will not be long before the proverbial feces hit the fan...

Nyran was just a baby, a suckling, when she was taken from her Bajoran family and brought to Cardassia. She got the privilege of growing up into a healthy adult woman, which was at a premium for her race during the Occupation. Right now, she's fresh out of school, enlisted as a secretary to the most powerful man in the Cardassian Union.

______________________________________

Author's note:

Please bear with me if you did come here to read about Dukat. This needs to happen, it's an essential part of the heroine's personality growth and will bring her to the major plot of this novel. You'll get your fill of Damar VERY soon :).

_______________________________________

Cardassia Prime, Neshkar (capital city)

Nyran's first day of work had barely started and her boss, the supreme commander of the whole empire, was already noticing her more than she was comfortable with. She had heard rumors about him, but chose to believe she had been picked for this job because of her skills. Focusing on doing the best work she was capable of to make a good first impression, she tried to gracefully avoid Gul Dukat's attention, but he was evidently curious about her.

"Tell me, Zaira, how long have you been living on Cardassia(1)?" he wondered, when his secretary(2) pattered past him again with an armful of PADDs, busy as a bee.

"Since before I can remember, sir," she answered coyly, fanning her peachy cheeks with long dark eyelashes.

Dukat(3) gave her another pleased once-over, lingering shamelessly at her full breasts and curved hips. She found it highly inappropriate, but also quite distracting. As she would not dare to just leave the room to bring more documents when he engaged her in conversation, she just stood in front of his desk, hands joined on the fabric of her carefully chosen work dress, fingers nervously fidgeting.

"May I call you Nyran?" Dukat purred with his head tilted to the side, a smile playing around his lips. "It's such a pretty name."

She blushed violently, but nodded nonetheless. Whatever helped her keep the job. Her rent would not pay itself and she had no other source of income. She considered herself lucky to have scored such a high-end position with no previous experience.

"You may, sir."

"Thank you," his smile widened. "Strange. I've never noticed you before," he narrowed his eyes, as if trying to recall seeing her. "And I'm sure I would have if I saw you around."

Nyran lowered her head.

"I haven't spent much time down on the planet since I was fifteen, sir. I've just finished my training at the academy, this is my first job. Lahar Teral fought the authorities to allow me to study and funded my education."

She tried hard not to sound accusing, but failed. The mention of her foster father slipped out on its own accord, victorious in the struggle she put up to let go of her bitterness. Holding something against the leader of the nation was a bad impulse. It was not directly his fault anyway, he was just a catalyst. The Dominion goons he brought to Cardassia on his heels had disposed of most members of the Detapa Council(4) to set him up for his promotion, and if Lahar had not died from his life-long heart condition, he would have been executed along with them.