Chapter 10

Dhun sat up and grabbed her clothes. She began to get dressed up. "How can you not remember?" She asked. "That was one of the reasons that I started liking you. Though it did not work, you did not hesitate in giving me your most priced possession. So in the nine years, whenever I thought back to you, I could only remember that moment, and your honest care and concern for me."

"I have no idea what you are talking about," Rithvik said. He was getting dressed too.

"I always feel bad that I did not return it to you." Dhun was going on ignoring him. "But with what was happening...in all that mess... It slipped my mind. I was not in the right state of my mind. Losing mom once was enough shock for me. But..." her voice went low, "The fact that I could do nothing for mom was even more..." She sat down on the bed again. "I could not save her." She wiped the traces of tears that came to her eyes.

"It's okay, Dhun," Rithvik was by her side. He touched her face, "It was an accident what could you have done?"

"How do you not remember? And Rithvik if this is a prank I am not going to forgive you."

"You stop pranking me. I seriously have no idea what you are talking about with the time turner and all."

"On my mother's funeral. You gave it to me. The time turner. Telling me to save my mom. You can forget little details. It's been ten years. But to not remember its existence at all?!!! You said you used to use it for every single thing before. You should remember it."

Rithvik raked his childhood memories, but it was of no use.

"Wait a minute," Dhun said, and she got up and went to her bag. She searched throughout the bag. "I always keep it with me. In case I misplaced it somewhere."

She took out the small pocket watch from her bag and came back to Rithvik Here you go. She placed it in his hands. Rithvik's eyes fell on the small pocket watch. And then, memories began to rush back to him.

Flashes of his childhood. When he used to use this time turner. And the games and pranks and cheating in the exam he used to do with it.

Rithvik dropped the time turner at the impact of memories. It fell with a cutter to the floor. But did not break. "What happened," Dhun asked picking it up. Rithvik fell back to the bed. His head hurt a bit by the rush of memories.

"This is insane," He said.

"So you remember now?" Dhun asked.

"Yes." He was so shocked that he could not remember the thing he used to use every day as a kid. It was a major part of his life.

"So you did not remember till now?" she asked.

"Yes."

"How can that be?"

Rithvik took the time turner from her hand and lay down to his bed. "How do I know? Maybe it is part of the magic."

"Magic?" Dhun asked sitting beside him.

"Yeah. Earlier, I mean when I was a kid, I used to wonder if it was science or magic that is involved with this watch. But I guess it is indeed magic. Not science. It feels like the memory loss is a part of its magic." He looked up at Dhun, "Maybe only the owner of it can remember it. If the ownership is transferred to someone else, the previous owner forgets all about it. Something like that?"

"Wow!" She uttered in wonder.

"I mean to keep the owner safe. Or else anyone could slit their throat to get their hands on this, right? It is that precious."