ғᴏᴜʀ

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

ƬΛ

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

VIOLET'S ARMS WERE WARM BUT THE HUG LEFT DELTA FEELING COLD. Vi hugged her with ferocity, fingers gripping into the stiff leather of her jacket and face tucked in the space where her neck met her shoulder. Her lips pressed against Delta's skin and Delta swore she heard unspoken words melt into her skin. A promise that Vi and Violet alone would know-- that drove Delta insane. She pushed the girl back gently and held her by the shoulders, forcing the steel-eyed girl to make eye contact with her. "Vi what is going on?" Violet only shook her head, eyes downcast and lips set thin. "Nothing. Everything is fine." Delta scoffed. "If everything was fine you wouldn't be hugging me like it was our last time together," She paused. "Like you were leaving."

Violet stepped backwards, running a hand through her hair before looking at Delta. Her eyes raked the shorter girls form up and down before she cleared her throat in finality. "Listen, nothing is wrong so leave it." Delta flinched. "But, Vi..." "I said leave it!" The room was struck with silence and tears welled up in Delta's eyes, her hands furiously wiping them away. "All I wanted was to help you but clearly you don't need that." She turned her gaze to the ground and glared. "You don't need me." Violet's fingers trembled but she stood still, not trusting her voice in case it betrayed her. Delta waited-- she waited because she wanted Violet to tell her she was wrong, tell her she was important to her. Tell her that she needed Delta.

The silence made the tears Delta had tried so hard to keep in fall and her bottom lip quivered. She couldn't take it. Deltas feet swiftly moved past Vi, her shoulder striking the taller girls forcefully before the door slammed shut and both girls were left to the silence and their own thoughts. Delta leaned on her side of the door, sobs wracking her body as it felt like a piece of her soul had just been ripped out. Violet leaned on the other side, hands fisting her hair in anger and salty tears falling down her reddened cheeks. Both girls sat on opposite sides of the same door, so close yet had never been farther apart.

That's what the Lanes did to you: it built you as a person of independence and when anything threatened that mold it would tear you apart. Young infatuation would lead to love and the Gods only know the destruction that would follow.

Delta sat at the very end of the bar, hood raised and fingers peeling at the skin around her fingernails. Old habits die hard. The padding of feet brought her attention upwards and she eyed the presence of Powder, the younger girl looking almost as upset as Delta. She frowned at that. Her legs brought her to plop down in the stool next to Powder and the duo shared a look, Delta's arms hesitantly opening and Powder immediately jumped in-between them. Delta glanced over her shoulder and nodded at Vander, the man letting out a soft smile before dishing up the pair two glasses of juice. The cups were made of old metal and where one was decorated in pink and blue crayon the other had gears and the twisting of branches carved into it. Powder and Delta had made them together when they were younger.

Oh how Delta missed the easier times.

While Powder sipped her juice Deltas eyes wandered to the stuffed rabbit that sat next to her. The rabbit...that was Violet's rabbit. Her auburn eyes widened and her eyes met the likeliness of Vander. His face was scrunched in worry, eyebrows furrowed as he threw down his towel and stood up. As he made his way to the door Delta called out. "Vander, where are you going? What's going on?" The man sighed before opening the door, taking a glance back to where Delta now stood. "To save Violet from herself." And then he was gone.