𝒸𝒽. 𝟢𝟢𝟥 -- "𝒻𝑜𝓈𝓉𝑒𝓇?"

The rest of the day blurred together and the only thing Sophie knew was that Keefe had left her again. She couldn't remember if she fainted once or twice, maybe even 3 times, just that Elwin had forced her to drink a gazillion different elixirs. A few minutes after she'd read his letter and collapsed onto her bed crying, everyone had gathered at Havenfield and began one of those long debates that usually occurred when they were going to fight the Neverseen and everyone wanted to go. Her friends would join her at the bottom of the stairs to comfort her sometimes but then rejoin the shouting match. Sophie just sat at the side shivering while waiting for her ear drums to pop. Everyone in the lost cities could probably hear them shouting and screaming unimportant things like "HOW COULD HE DO THIS?" "WE CAN GO FIND HIM AND FORCE HIM BACK!" or something like that. But then someone else would cut in saying "That's to dangerous!" or "Yeah but how are you planning to convince him to come back?" and round and round it goes. Until it was nearly completely dark and Sophie finally couldn't take it anymore. "ENOUGH!" The shouting immediately died down and everyone turned to look at her. "Enough." Sophie said again quietly. "You guys are all arguing about how he could do this and how to get him back. But he is gone. He IS gone." "So what do you want us to talk about?" Councilor Emery asked, his voice hoarse. "I'm saying that he IS gone. And we definitely are going to try find him, but what will happen to him in the mean time?" Sophie voice cracked and she cleared her throat, wiping away her fresh tears. "He doesn't have anywhere to live, anything to eat... And if he did bring things, there going to run out soon." Sophie looked at each person in the room, every one of them wearing a different expression. The endless silence was thick and Sophie decided that now was the time to be a good leader. "The right thing to do right now is that we all split into small groups and actually do something. Like... I can transmit to him, other telepaths- Mr Forkle, Teirgan, Councilor Emery, Fitz... you guys can all try to track him down. Bronte, you said that you guys were about to give Team Valiant another assignment?" "Yes, we were" Bronte agreed. "Wylie?" Sophie asked. Wylie nodded. "Yeah Sophie?" "I want you to lead Team Valiant for now as I work on how to get Keefe back. Biana?" "Yes Lady Fos-Boss?" Sophie rolled her eyes but actually cracked a real smile. Biana smiled back. "I want you to work with me and the rest of the black swan to get Keefe back as you guys are good friends" (I was going to make Sophie say "you guys are close" But I didn't want to make it Keefiana soooo )"Yes Fos-Boss!" Biana replied. The 2 girls shared smiles again. "Dex and Stina, I want you 2 to work with Wylie on the next Team V assignment." They both nodded and Sophie turned to the councilors. "Is there anything else I missed?" "No there isn't," Emery said after a moment which Sophie assumed the council was telepathically discussing. "But we would like all Emissaries to finish their assignments- and then you can work on getting Mr Sencen to come home. We will proceed with Miss Foster's plan for 2 weeks then replan if it is not effective enough." Everyone nodded and said goodbyes and in a flash, Sophie was standing by herself at the base of the stairs again. As she turned to head back to her room, a headache flared and Sophie groaned, toppling back. Sandor caught her before she fell, calling for Grady and Edaline in his squeaky voice. They put Sophie in bed and hailed Elwin. A few minutes later, Grady went downstairs and came back with Elwin who had 2 satchels swung around his shoulders. "I just left 5 minutes ago and now I'm back! How's my favorite patient doing? What's wrong?" Elwin teased before getting serious. "I've just got a headache and- DAD seriously it's just a headache!" Sophie said throwing her arms up and wincing from the motion as Grady muttered "Just a headache yeah totally." Elwin frowned, putting on his special glasses and forming a ball of blue light around Sophie's head. Then a red light. Then a yellow. Then a green. His frown deepened as he flashed a ball of purple light around her head. Suddenly, Elwin's eyes widened, as he switched to a grey ball of light. He shone the light around her hand and gasped. "WHAT IS IT?" Grady, Edaline and Sandor all blurted at the same time. Sophie waited to see the answer hoping that her theory was wrong. But of course her luck was horrible, and she still flinched as Elwin announced, "Her echoes have woken again."

"WHAT?" Grady shouted. "FLORI! WE NEED YOU!" Edaline screamed. "Mom." Sophie said weakly. "Why didn't you tell us Sophie?" Edaline asked as Flori scrambled up the stairs "And before you argue, I saw you flinch when Elwin told us." "It was only a theory," Sophie said,  defending herself. "Well you still COULD HAVE TOLD US AND WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ELWIN TO CHECK EARLIER!" Edaline took a deep breath. "Um... I think she was trying to tell you that shouting is making her headache worse." Elwin said, flashing the purple light again. Edaline covered her mouth. "Sorry. But next time tell us please, ok?" Sophie nodded as Flori pushed through them and put one hand on Sophie's head, and another in her palm. Sophie closed her eyes while Flori sang the song, feeling the shadows seep out of her and only leaving a trace which she buried deep to make sure it never resurfaced. "Are you feeling better?" Grady asked when Flori finished the song. "Yep. Thanks Flori." "Anytime, moonlark." Flori smiled. 

                                                            ***

Ignoring Sandor and her parents protests, Sophie still stretched her mind out, out so far she felt like her head would rip but gave a satisfied smile when she found who she was looking for. Worth it! She thought as she rallied her mental energy and got ready. Keefe? No answer but his mind seemed to be on something else. Keefe! Sophie tried again louder. He didn't seem to hear. Sophie frowned. KEEFE? He was still focused on something else. That was weird. People could usually still hear her even if they weren't focusing. Sophie gathered all her strength, letting it grow and grow, until she couldn't hear anything else apart from the steady hum. She shoved it all out of her head in one go leaving her drained and tired after sending one final KEEFE! into his head. Sophie gasped for air, wiping sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand. But this time, she was rewarded with the tiniest thought in the world. Foster?

*cackles evilly* I'm getting good at cliffhangers! (though I'll never be as good as Shannon)I had to make Keefe say "Foster?" in italics because it was supposed to be a small thought and putting it in bold doesn't make it 'small'... But next time he answers Keefe will be in bold. This is the second update today because I felt bad not updating the last 5 (or something- I don't remember xD)days... Anyways, enjoy!