𝒸𝒽. 𝟢𝟢𝟣 -- 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓁𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇

The evening sun shone down through the pink clouds, warming the gold and crystal house overlooking the shimmering ocean waves. Havenfield's colourful pastures of grazing animals glittered into view, and Sophie started running before she even fully reformed.

She couldn't believe it- Mr. Forkle thought she did the right thing!

Her heart was so light she felt like she could fly, and the weight and responsibility that had been put on her shoulders the day she'd arrived at the Lost Cities felt like it had just been lifted off.

Celebrate the victories, Mr Forkle had said. She was going to do that now.

Sophie threw open the front door, skidding to a halt inside the living room, and nearly crashed into Edaline who was holding a whole plate of freshly baked mallowmelt.

Edaline twirled around, snapping her fingers and conjuring the plate away just before Sophie dive-bombed her in a hug.

"Sophie!" Edaline laughed, wrapping her arms around her.

Sophie felt a smile spread across her face as she leaned into the hug, burying her face in Edaline's apron.

She smelt like ripplefluffs, mallowmelt, and all the other baked goods in the world, warm and fresh. But the richest and most heart-warming aroma of all, that Sophie happily savoured, was the smell of Havenfield: Home.

She hugged Edaline for a few more seconds, then looked up at her mom, grinning so widely that her face would probably hurt later.

Edaline smiled, chuckling, "Well you look happy, don't you?"

Sophie laughed, pulling out of the embrace.

Edaline snapped her fingers again, conjuring out the mallowmelt. Taking a slice, she offered Sophie one too. "So, what's happened that made you so happy?" She asked, eyes scanning Sophie for injuries.

Sophie leaned against the countertop, stuffing her mallowmelt in her mouth, pondering how to answer the question. Suddenly everything didn't seem so exciting anymore. Mr Forkle might've thought that she did the right thing, but what if Edaline didn't?

Sophie swallowed her bite of mallowmelt, hesitating for 2 more beats before responding, "Well, we went to the storehouse."

Edaline nodded. "Yeah, I know. What happened there?"

"We got the caches back," Sophie continued. The corners of Edaline's mouth twitched up, and she grinned, asking, "What else?"

"We stole a bunch of stuff, but it was mostly scrolls,"

"And?"

"And we found Lady Gisela's Archetype,"

Edaline smiled more. "And?"

Sophie bit her lip, feeling her eyelashes itch. She slid up onto the counter, sitting on her hands. There was really no other excuse, and someone would tell Edaline anyways if she didn't. Sophie took a deep breath, hesitating a few more seconds, before saying quietly, "I burnt down the storehouse."

Edaline blinked.

Sophie cringed at the awkward silence, slipping off the counter just in case she needed to bolt.

But after a bit, Edaline smiled, just pulling Sophie in for another hug.

Sophie released the breath she didn't realise she was holding, and sank into the hug, whispering, "Do you think I made the right decision?"

"Whatever you think is right, I think so too," Edaline told her. "I'm proud of you, Sophie, no matter what."

Sophie felt herself smile again, but then pulled back, remembering something else. "Where's Grady? He said that he would come back first."