chapter nineteen

Nate's pov

I fight off the last guy and he drops to the ground dead. I look around and see everyone of Alejandro's men dead. I look towards Lilac and see Alejandro with a bullet between his eyes, dead on the ground. I look up at her and see cuts and bruises all over her. I quickly make my way to her. When I get closer, I can tell that her leg has a big wound and so does her stomach. 

"I did it." she says when I'm in reach. 

"You did." I tell her while getting closer.

She walks towards me and drops in my arms. We both drop to the ground, exhausted. She looks up at me, her grey-blue eyes reeling me in. 

"That bi-itch had the aud-dacity to fucking cut me o-open." she says while struggling to breath. She's not dying on me, fuck no. 

"Get an ambulance here, fast!" I yell to the others, my head turned away from her. 

I feel a soft hand guiding my face back down. She's holding my jaw, making me look at her. 

"I'll b-be okay. Y-you can't kill me that... easily." she says while her eyes slowly close.

"No, Lilac. You gotta keep your eyes open for me please. This isn't the end of our story. I-I think I'm falling for you. You can't die on me now." I say while trying to get her to open her eyes. 

"Nate, I-I think I'm falling for you... t-too." she says with her eyes open a little before closing them again. 

"Shit, shit, shit, shit!" I shout. 

"Get her on this!" a paramedic says while they carry her onto a stretcher. 

They hurry back to the ambulance like car and get in. I run after them and get in too. I'm not leaving her. I focus solely on her, I don't look at where the rest is. We drive fast, with a speed that's definitely illegal. 

When we get there, they carry her out and we walk into the compound's hospital from Mary's mafia. I follow them inside while holding her hand the entire way. We get to a door and they stop to turn to me.

"Sir, I'm going to need you to stay here. You aren't allowed in here. You'll be notified once she's finished." a woman explains while pushing me away from her. 

I watch after her as she gets driven to the ER. The woman is talking but I don't hear anything. She guides me to a seat and I sit down. I'm wounded myself and I can tell that she's trying to check me. But I'm not in the mood, Lilac could be dying. I shrug the woman of and lean on my legs. A second later, Cody stands in front of me with a glass of water. I gently take it from him before gulping it down. After, I'm back to zoning out onto the ground. Hundreds of scenarios are going through my mind. Is this the end? Will this be the last time I talked to her? How big are the chances of her survival? Will she be okay after? Every question imaginable is running through my head. I can faintly hear the others talking in the background but I don't register what they're saying. I feel a hand on my shoulder and tense. I look to my left and see Mary. 

"Look, I know you're probably not in the mood to talk. But I just wanted to tell you that she does really like you. She acts cold because she doesn't want to lose another team. She's so scared of losing another family, that she shut you guys out. That's what she does with everyone. Gary, you guys and me. Even her Dad, but he won't give up on her. So, please don't either. She needs that kind of sign to make it clear to her that you're never giving up on her. " she says. "She's happy around you. I can tell she keeps in her laughs, chuckles and smiles. I've seen her do it more than once. She's a fighter, she'll be walking out of here in a few days acting like nothing happened." 

"Thank you." I tell her, I actually kind of needed that. 

"You're welcome. But if you hurt her in any way, shape or form, I'll fucking kill you. No matter how much she likes or loves you." she says sternly before her phone rings. "I gotta take this." 

She walks away a little further, but I can still hear her talk.

"She's in surgery right now." 

"We haven't heard anything yet."

"Off course I'll keep you posted, how is that even a question?" 

"I'll send you the address of the compound. It's the old one, you've visited it before."

"Just call me when you land." she says and then the phone call ends. 

Who was she talking to? Before I can dwell on it further, a nurse walks up to us. 

"Family of Emery?" she asks. 

"Lilac." Mary says with an authoritative voice. The nurse visibly stiffens and cowers a little. 

"Right, sorry ma'am. Uhm, she just got out of surgery. Apparently, a bullet made it's way into her chest. It's a miracle she was standing that long. We were able to remove the bullet and stabilise her and her other wounds. But she went into a coma. It was like her body was protecting her and slipped her into a coma. We don't know when she'll be waking up. It could be a few hours, or days, weeks, months. It's unclear. But we'll let you know if we have any indication." she explains. 

Coma? What the hell? What is going on? 

"Can we see her?" Cleo asks while clinging onto Cody.

"Yes, but max two people at one time." she says and we nod. "Ring us if you need anything." And she walks away. 

"We'll go first." Cleo says and Cody and her make their way to Lilac's room.

I take my seat again and the silence brings me to a dangerous place, my mind. I can't stop thinking about how she knew that doctor. What did he do to her? I also don't understand why her body went into a coma. She should have woken up from the  anaesthesia after a few hours, not go into a coma. It just doesn't add up, it feels like I'm missing information. 

I must have been thinking for a long time because I suddenly feel a light tap on my shoulder from Mary. Signalling me that it's my turn, the last person to go see her. I nod at her and get up. I walk towards Lilac's room with a fast beating heart. I enter her room and see her laying in bed. She looks so peaceful yet as if she's in so much pain. I walk towards her bed before taking a seat next to her. I take her hand in my hand before leaving a featherlike kiss on it. 

"What are you doing, Lilac? Why do you think it's funny scaring us like this?" I say with a sigh. 

"If you'd be awake, you'd probably say that you're fine. That it's just a scratch. But it's not, not this time at least." I continue. 

"Please fight this, come back to us. You can't leave us. I understand if you're scared of losing another family but we're not letting go of you. No matter how hard you try." I say and lay my head on her bed with her hand still in mine. "I'm not leaving your side."