Chapter 42

%%%% July 15th %%%%

"For all the wrong Professor Snape does," Hermione said as she stirred the potion in front of her once clockwise after the seven counterclockwise stirs and watched it turn pale pink, "He does know his potions."

"Too bad he didn't write textbooks instead of teaching," Harry replied. They were finishing the Draught of Living Death per the 'Half-Blood Prince' instructions. "Wonder why the textbooks we use at school are so bad? I mean obviously these instructions are better than what's in our textbooks."

"Well there is an old saying," Hermione said as glanced up from her stirring. "Those that can, do, and those that can't teach. Somewhere along the line, I read a caveat to that saying that said 'Those can neither do nor teach, write textbooks.' "

"And instruction manuals, don't forget writing instruction manuals," Hermione's mother added as she overheard the last of the conversation as she walked into the garage where they had set up the potion brewing area. "Here are two of the Epipens we have at the office." She continued while handing over the devices. "And this is the practice one."

Harry took them from her and set them on their makeshift table. "Thank you. We'll feel better when you have something at your work that can give you some protection."

"Well Dobby and Winky are taking turns there today," Jean Granger replied. "I would never have known they're there, but it seems the office got a little cleaner during the day. And that is difficult to accomplish considering how clean a Dentist office is to start with. Our assistant hasn't run out screaming so I presume she didn't see them either."

"Make sure Dobby and Winky know that you are happy," Hermione said as she continued to concentrate on the potion.

"Oh, I will, but they are currently making dinner," Jean replied. "Of course, they don't have to deal with traffic to and from our office."

"I'm sure they would be willing to apparate you there every day," Harry suggested. "They are going there anyway."

"And no one see us come and go?" Jean asked. "It would get very suspicious very quickly."

"True."

"How much longer?" Jean asked. "I can let Dobby and Winky know."

"About…. twenty minutes," Hermione replied as she quickly glanced at her watch.

"There, perfect," Hermione said as the potion turned clear as water a short time later. "Now we need to find a way to load this in the epipen and then test it."

"Who do have in mind to test it on?" Harry asked.

"We should try it first on an animal," Hermione replied, "Though we do need to test it on a person."

"Try it out on me," Harry said.

"And if for some reason I have to take you to St. Mungos?" Hermione asked. "How long would it take for the word that we're working on brewing the Draught of Living Death to get back to ears that we don't want it going to?"

"Think Madam Bones can suggest someone? Maybe Tonks?" Harry asked.

"Actually, I have a better idea," Hermione replied. "What about one or both of the Twins? See how they like being an unknowing test subject?" She still nursed a grudge from the telescope that gave her a black eye at the Burrow. "No one would bat an eye if they needed medical assistance."