Chapter 35: Lord Voldemort Strikes Back

"What now?" Miranda sighed when Death appeared. "It can't be Harry and Hermione…I mean they just finished getting the Horcrux. They're safe...right?" Death's eyes told her what she wanted to know…or in this case didn't want to know. "Hermione?"

Death shrugged. "Not from poison, but there are several deaths coming in association with the Potters."

"Who?"

"There are too many decision nexuses for me to see who they are right now," Death replied and then glanced away for a second before he returned his gaze upon Miranda. "There is potential for your soulmates to be among them."

"What can I do to help them?"

"Nothing," Death replied with a shake of his head. "In fact attempting to influence the outcome will result in a greater chance of them being killed."

"Is this Fate's doing?" Miranda snarled. "I swear I'm going to..."

"No; actually it's more yours," Death replied before Miranda could get worked up. "You know that for every act of love, there is always the potential for an equal amount of hate. You gave them their loved ones back and the power of knowledge to strike back."

"They deserved it," Miranda replied.

"Yes but Riddle isn't taking defeat very well and he's retaliating," Death replied with a sigh. "I like the Potters; I really do and I hope they bring the rest of Riddle's soul to me, but there are risks in what they do."

"I did warn them," Miranda replied.

"Yes...and you knew what their answer would be before they did," Death agreed. "Now...while I am waiting, I have a few ideas of what do with the half of Riddle's soul I do have."

"Well if you tire of that, you can always ask Tareatha out," Miranda replied with a smile.

*** E E ***

"Four down…" Harry said as they walked out of the hospital wing.

"Only the Cup and Nagini left before…" Hermione's reply trailed off as they both knew Harry would have to be hit with the killing curse again.

"But then it'll be over," Harry said finally as he leaned over to pick up the Sword of Gryffindor they had stashed behind a suit of armor before going into the medical wing. It would have raised too many questions especially with Dumbledore injured as badly as he was.

"And we'll have saved the people we came back to save," Hermione agreed. "At least with Dumbledore alive, Voldemort will still be wary of him. That should give us time."

"True," Harry replied. "But now we'll have to deal with Dumbledore when Voldemort is gone. I meant what I said about the bigotry in this school going unpunished. If you really want to change the magical world…it starts here."

"Maybe when he's not so focused on Voldemort, he'll see that," Hermione suggested.

Harry shrugged. "We can only wait and see though no matter what, Snape is going to be out of this school."

They walked in silence for a while as they made their way to Dumbledore's office. The Headmaster had told them the password so they could put the Sword back. "Do you think Ragnok will destroy the cup?" Hermione finally asked.