Chapter 31: Sirius's Secrets and Memories

July 2nd continued

"Damn," Amelia Bones grumbled as she sat heavily in her chair. Harry, Hermione, Sirius and Tonks had followed Amelia directly back to her office after Pettigrew's trial and execution. Each of them glanced at the others as they took seats in front of Madam Bones' desk. "Two good men killed," Amelia continued with a sigh. "Going to be hard on Charles' wife. She's six months pregnant with their first child."

Harry glanced at Hermione as a wave of guilt washed over him.

"No Harry," Hermione said as she felt his guilt. "Lots of people died and we can't possibly save all of them. We have no idea if this Charles died in the last time or not, but others will live."

"I hope so," Harry replied but he couldn't quite swallow the guilt that he still felt.

Amelia was looking out the window that Magical Maintenance had displaying a cloudy day. "Damn," She repeated. Suddenly her expression hardened as she called out to her assistant who quickly stuck her head in the door. "Get Kincaid in here immediately."

"Yes ma'am," The assistant said and hurried away.

The Head of the DMLE finally turned to the people in her office. "Well Sirius," She said, "at least you saved us from it being a total fiasco. If Pettigrew had escaped in front of all of those people it would have been ugly. Though I'm sure that's exactly what Voldemort wanted."

"Fortunately I'd seen Peter change enough times," Sirius replied. "I could tell it was happening the instant he started. That's what gave me my jump. Just glad Harry kept Scrimgeour from stunning me and possibly letting that scum get away."

"Just wished we'd caught his sister as well," Amelia muttered. A knock on her door interrupted anything else she was going to say. Her assistant's head appeared. "Kincaid to see you ma'am as you requested."

"Send him in."

The assistant disappeared and a medium height, black-haired wizard came in the office. He was middle aged and the black hair was receding. "You...you wanted to see me?" He asked nervously.

"Yes, where are we on those word detections?"

"Uh...we haven't...I mean we're working on it," The man stammered.

"I just had two people imperiused in this damn building," Amelia snarled as her monocle seemed to disappear as her eyes narrowed. "Something that led to two of my people being killed. Get this straight Kincaid, neither you nor anyone on your team will be going home until this building is protected, do I make myself clear?"

"But..."

"No buts unless it's yours on a platter," Bones said menacing. "If this building isn't protected when I wake up tomorrow, you won't have a job. Then after this building is completed, get to work on Diagon Alley. I want this whole country protected before the end of the week."

Kincaid swallowed nervously but nodded.

"Make sure you coordinate with Scrimgeour about who's monitoring and responding."

"Yes ma'am."

"That's all, now get to work."

Amelia shook her head as she watched the door close behind man. "Not just him either. If those blasted Goblins would just give us that polyjuice and imperio removing magic," Madam Bones grumbled. "I'm tempted to force..." She was interrupted by her assistant sticking her head in the door again.