Chapter 39: Dumbledore

"Thank you Alastor," Dumbledore said as the Potters followed the retired Auror into the office.

"No thanks needed Albus," Moody replied. "They wanted to come and I was more than willing to provide what protection I could for them."

Dumbledore internally sighed but nodded. "I'll make sure they make it back to Grimmauld."

"Actually sir," Hermione said. "Madam Bones wishes to see us when we're done here. Tonks is supposed to escort us so we need to either go back to St. Mungos or coordinate somewhere else to meet Tonks."

"Must you keep putting yourself at risk?" Dumbledore asked the teens. "You must realize how real the danger is for you? Will you not just go back to Grimmauld and stay there?"

"I'll let you three work out those details," Moody said before Harry could retort. "It's time for me to find a bed for a bit of shut-eye." The retired Auror turned toward the door to leave but before he had taken a step he turned back. "And Albus, according to Sirius, who spoke to Madam Bones last night, Snape might have told Voldemort that you were not around yesterday which facilitated the attack on us. If I find out that's true…well let's say inviting him to the next Order meeting would be a mistake."

"I will take your words under advisement Alastor," Dumbledore replied evenly. "If it is true, then it was most likely a case where disclosing the information was the only way to keep his cover."

Moody just grunted at that explanation before he turned to Harry and Hermione. "Just to let you know, I've decided that I'm tired of staring at the front door of Headquarters at night. If you want to continue giving Albus the midnight runaround, feel free to do so. Or better yet," Alastor continued as his magical eyed stopped as it pointed at the Headmaster, "let me know ahead of time so I can enjoy the entertainment of Albus running around foolishly over and over again."

Harry nodded and grinned at the gnarled-faced man who turned and walked out of Dumbledore's office. Once the door had closed, Harry turned toward Dumbledore only to see the Headmaster's features sag with a look of weariness. Though he was still angered at the Headmaster's determination to return him to being a prisoner at Grimmauld, he still felt concern. "How are you sir? Was Madam Pomfrey able to fix your hands and legs?"

"You didn't get cursed from that ring did you?" Hermione asked as she saw the same change in the Headmaster's demeanor.

"Madam Pomfrey performed her usual superb treatments," The Headmaster replied, "and I've suffered no lasting injuries, neither from your hexes nor of any curses from the Horcrux." Albus smiled to himself at the concern shown by the teens. It had been one of his tricks he had used over the many years; to show a hint of vulnerability. He knew that when you do so, your opponent usually will do one of two things. They will either act aggressively to try to press their presumed advantage or they will show compassion, opening themselves up as well. Either of which could be used successfully against the opponent; each allowed a way to regain control of a situation. "Now to continue," he said to himself.

"First," Dumbledore continued in a soft grandfatherly tone, "I should thank both of you for possibly saving my life and at least saving me from grievous harm. Once again it appears that I have a weakness that prevented me from dispatching the Horcrux."

"We're just glad we were there," Harry replied. He was sincere in those words. They knew that if Dumbledore were to die, Riddle would move openly against the Ministry and it might fall as quickly as they had seen in the previous timeline.