Chapter 34: In Search of a Ring

July 8th Continued

As Ragnok watched the Head of DMLE depart his office, he glanced up at the hand-carved clock that hung on the wall. He was surprised at how long the negotiations had taken. He felt though he had made a very good deal out of what could have been devastating to his bank and his people. He had even got Madam Bones to agree to pay the wages of the Goblins working in the new security center.

"Of course since Wizards do not know the wages of a Goblin, that twenty percent increase will do well in recouping some of our losses in this matter," Ragnok thought. They had also agreed that the Goblins would be entirely in charge of the interior of the building to be used to ensure that no magical detection devices were deployed by the Ministry in trying to unravel the Goblin magic. "And the walls of the building will be covered with advertisements for all of the services we provide including loans and our gambling services…hmm gambling services," Ragnok glanced at the name of the Goblin who had made the contract with Sirius Black, "I see I have another volunteer to join the dragon dung cleanup detail. It is so hard to fill those spots with such a high rate of casualties."

*** E E ***

"Let's stop in here," Harry said as they walked back down Diagon Alley. He was pointing at the same jewelry store where he had bought Hermione's promise ring. "Now that your parents approve, I can get you your engagement ring."

"I don't need it yet Harry," Hermione replied. "I like the ring you bought me last month."

Harry pulled his wife into his arms. "I want the world to know that you and I are engaged," He explained. "You can wear the promise ring on your right hand and your engagement ring where it belongs. "

Hermione could see the sincerity in his eyes and felt it in their bond. She smiled and nodded.

"Besides, it will remind your father that we are still JUST engaged in their world," Harry continued.

When they entered the jewelry store the same sales witch who had helped Harry last month was behind the counter. She had her back to them while she put away something in a cabinet. "Welcome to Matilda's Fine Jewels, how may I help…" She started as she turned but then stopped as her eyes grew wide. "You're…it's YOU!"

"Uh…hi," Harry replied.

"No one believed me when I told them you had bought a ring from me," The lady said gushing. "They all claimed I was just trying to get more business. Even my mother didn't believe me. She said you couldn't have been here since you would've been at Hogwarts."

"Yeah…well it was me," Harry replied wishing the conversation would end. "We just want to look at engagement rings."

"Engagement?" Her eyes went to the young lady beside Harry. "Hermione Granger? I…"

Hermione quickly cut the saleslady off. "Please just show us what you have available."

"Oh…of course," The saleslady replied. "I'm Rebecca and…" As she turned to a display case she knocked a pile of boxes off of the counter. "I'm sorry…"

Harry bent down and started to help Rebecca to pick up the boxes. "Oh, Mr. Potter you don't need…"

"It's just Harry, Rebecca," Harry replied as he handed her the two boxes he had retrieved and picked up two more. "And this is just Hermione. We are just a couple of people looking to buy a ring. Just relax.…"