Chapter 21: The Hogwart's Express

Previous Chapter

While sorting the found books in the Room of Requirement Hermione discovers one of the books describing Horcruxes. Sirius tells them about his change to the Family crest. They discuss what might happen after Voldemort dies when it comes to Purebloods. Neville gets his reward from Luna for his Potions OWL and Hermione, after finding out that the Ravenclaws bullies had been passing bad information to Luna, has a long chat with her friend about boys and sex. Hermione fixes the Vanishing cabinet while Harry suggests that cabinet be taken to Hermione's house so she could visit Grimmauld place anytime she wished while still spending time with her parents. They also decided, after Miranda did serious convincing, to keep the jewels they had found to finance any needed opposition to the purebloods in the future. Miranda also insisted that two gemstones be used in a bet on a known result bet that should return very good odds. Finally they led Dumbledore to the Diadem which was then destroyed. The chapter ended with Narcissa inviting Andromeda to her home.

Chapter 21

June 24th 1996

Hermione awoke from the nightmare with a start as she sat bolt upright in the darkness. She looked around in panic before she realized where she was. She was in a bed in the Room of Requirements not at Malfoy Manor. She was at Hogwarts and she was with Harry, she was safe. As her adrenaline ran out of her she felt Harry's arms wrap around her.

"What's wrong?" He asked in a concerned voice. He already knew since the remnants of the nightmare had already bled into his thoughts. It hadn't been the first time, nor, he knew, would it be the last.

"Nightmare...or I should say memories," She replied as she shuddered. "Bellatrix."

Harry knew it was their time at Malfoy Manor she had relived. He put a little more pressure into his hug as he whispered. "She's gone. She can't hurt anyone anymore," He knew what she felt though, not only by sharing her thoughts but by having had similar nightmares after the graveyard and Cedric's death.

"I know," Hermione replied softly. "It's just in the nightmare I...I could actually feel the dagger at my throat..." Her hand rose to the spot the blade had touched her neck as she paused for a breath. Another breath and then a sigh. "I was barely conscious at the time and couldn't move. I...I just knew I was going to die," She turned to look at Harry. "Though you should never have put down your wand. If Dobby hadn't shown up we'd all have been killed or worse...and I don't mean expelled."

"I had to," Harry said. "I couldn't let anything hurt you."

"I'd have preferred to die than be given to Greyback," Hermione replied in a hoarse whisper as a tear escaped an eye and ran down her cheek.

"No..." Harry started.

"Harry I'm serious," Hermione cut him off as her voice grew stronger. "I love you and I know you love me, but if you ever are faced with that kind of decision again, promise me..."

Harry's eyes seemed to glow in the darkness before he cut her off. "NO..." He exclaimed. "I can't promise that. I will not promise that. As long as there is time, there is hope."

"And if time runs out and I'm given to Greyback or something just as bad?"

"I...we'll see, but I will not promise it," Harry replied determinedly. He sighed as the memory of the event leapt into his mind. Bellatrix with the knife to Hermione's throat. The crazed witch demanding they drop their wands. "I had to drop...my...wand." Harry's last few words were slowed as an idea ran through his mind.