Chapter 4: Perfume, Pensieve and Potions

As Harry and Hermione ended their kiss, they turned and looked at the person they had considered their best friend. His face was distorted in a mask of confusion and disbelief.

"Now do you believe us Ron?" Harry asked as his hand slid into his pocket where he grasped the handle of his wand.

It took several seconds before recognition appeared on the face of the youngest male Weasley, "But…but it can't...I mean I gave you the perfume," Ron stammered as he looked at Hermione.

"What?" Hermione asked in obvious confusion. "Perfume?"

"For Christmas, I gave you the perfume and Ginny said you wou..." Ron started and then stopped as his eyes went wide in panic.

To say Ginny Weasley was angry would be like saying there is water in the ocean or her brother snored; it would be seriously understating the feelings of the redhead. What should have been the best weekend of her life had turned into a nightmare. She had snatched the snitch right out from under that bitch Chang's nose. That had shown Harry who the better Quidditch player was. Even the idiot Corner had played his part perfectly, he had whined about Ginny stealing the victory from Ravenclaw and Ginny had quite loudly split up with him. She had known Harry would be around and hear the break-up. Even better was that Corner had ended up comforting Chang. Everything had fallen into place perfectly. Last night should have been it, Harry was going appreciate her Quidditch skills, know she wasn't going out with anyone and there was a party to celebrate the Quidditch Cup. EVERYTHING had been perfect. When the party started she could already feel Harry's lips on hers. But during the party Harry had stayed near Hermione discussing something called Grawp. Even when she had tried to talk to HER Harry, he hadn't mentioned the snitch or Cho or her break-up. When both Harry and Hermione had left the party early to go to bed, Ginny had been extremely annoyed.

"Then this morning," Ginny reflected as she put another small bite of food in her mouth. "I put on my special perfume and he was looking at me, I saw it, but he goes to HER and kisses HER and calls HER his girlfriend. What did that bookworm do to my Harry?"

A commotion near the doors of the Great Hall snapped Ginny out of her Hermione hatred thoughts. As she looked up, she saw the end of the kiss between HER Harry and the bitch and her anger flared again. The hatred was replaced by panic as she heard her brother mention the perfume he had given her at Christmas.

"Oh crap," She thought as she raced over to her brother, thinking the whole way. "If she finds out about that perfume, Ron will tell her who gave it to him to give to her."

Hermione was trying to remember back over two years previous to that Christmas. It was the year Ron's father was bitten by the snake. "Oh, he did give me a bottle of perfume that year, horrible smelling cheap stuff," She told Harry.

"So? What does you giving me perfume have to do with me and Harry?" She asked Ron.

"Ginny said…"

"I said that it would let you know he does think of you as a girl," Ginny finished Ron's sentence as she appeared at her brother's side. Seeing HER eyebrow shoot up in question she continued, "Remember last year before the Yule Ball, Ron stuck his foot in his mouth about you being a girl."

Ron turned to Ginny, "But you said it would..." he never finished that sentence either as Ginny glare silenced him.

"I think I need to examine that bottle of perfume," Hermione said to her husband.