Chapter 40

"Have any trouble getting here?" Madam Bones asked as Harry and Hermione along with Tonks took a seat in her office.

"Outside of a bloody phoenix appearing out of nowhere in Remus' room?" Tonks replied with a snort. "Had us all going for our wands until we realized it was just these two making a grand appearance."

"Phoenix?" The Director of Magical Law Enforcement asked as she turned a quizzical gaze upon Harry and Hermione.

"Dumbledore still has reservations about the Floo," Hermione added at the questioning look from Amelia. "He asked us to allow Fawkes take us to St. Mungos. Of course we still had to floo from there to here, but that was through the new place."

"We are fairly sure we've got the Floo issue taken care of," Amelia explained. "The Director of Magical Travel was under the Imperious. She was freed from it when we traversed the new Goblin entrance." She picked up a piece of parchment and then continued. "We've also found several other victims including three of my aurors. As they are questioned, they are leading us to He… I mean Voldemort's supporters and other victims. Your suggestion about that entryway just might have given us that chance we needed to protect our own."

"Just glad the thought occurred to me," Hermione replied.

"Do we know how it works?" Tonks asked. She had been impressed with the entryway.

"And that, Auror Tonks is not a question you will ever ask again," Madam Bones said as she glared at the young Auror. "Is that understood?"

"Eh…yes Ma'am," Tonks replied hesitantly.

"That entrance is important and we will not offend the Goblins by trying to unravel their magic," Amelia continued. "I don't want it even casually talked about. In fact you will let me know if you find anyone who is trying to find out that information. Do you understand?"

"Yes Ma'am," Tonks replied immediately this time.

"Good, now I'd like a complete understanding of what happened yesterday that led up to when we found you," Madam Bones instructed.

The next two hours were spent going over what happened. Harry and Hermione only described the morning as "Going with Dumbledore to explore something that ended up with the Headmaster injured." They skipped over the meal in the Room of Requirements as well. Finally after Tonks gave her account of searching for Harry and Hermione only to have them walk in on her when she had run out of places to look, Amelia sat back and nodded.

"Now Auror Tonks, we must discuss your actions in disregarding my orders." The head of the DMLE stated. "But before I decide on that, I would like to know about Mister Lupin's prognosis?"

"Eh…he…eh…," Tonks stammered at the sudden change of conversation. She then swallowed and continued. "He will be released from St. Mungo's tomorrow or the next day and then they are recommending five days of bed rest after that."

"Glad to know he is getting better." Madam Bones said. "Now, back to your actions; do you agree that you did not follow my orders concerning Mr. Potter?"

"Yes...ma'am," Tonks replied as she looked nervously at her boss.

"She didn't have a choice," Harry started. "We made…."