Chapter 23: Attack

Last Chapter

Hermione discusses the year with her parents. Her father isn't very keen on the idea of her having a boyfriend. Her parents meet Winky and Dobby. Harry makes it to Grimmauld place and tell Sirius about Lupin and Tonks. Voldemort finds out that Harry isn't with the Dursleys and is possibly somewhere within walking distance of King's Cross.

Chapter 23

June 25th 1996

Hermione knew she'd only been asleep for a few hours when she awoke. It was still dark in her room as the only the light was from a nearby streetlamp that filtered through the blinds covering her second story bedroom windows. It had been a car starting up next door that had awoken her she knew. She could hear it changing gears and accelerating away. It was a very different noise than she'd experienced over the last year. "Someone is starting their day too early," She thought. Hermione sighed as she looked over at the red numbers on the digital clock that sat on her nightstand. Four eleven am. She rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, but it was no use. She was uncomfortable. Though this was her bed, in her room, in her house, it still was not HER bed. It would take time to readjust to the firmness of the mattress beneath her. As she fought a losing battle of trying to go back to sleep the numbers on the clock kept increasing. As she laid there trying not to toss and turn, her mind wandered to the same time the previous morning when she'd awoke from a nightmare. It wasn't the nightmare she thought of though; no, her thoughts were of her raven-haired husband. She could almost feel his arms around her, comforting her.

"I wished you were here," She mumbled to herself. As she looked over at the other side of her bed, she realized that she no longer slept in the middle as she had always done. She now slept on the left side of the bed as if acknowledging that Harry should be on the other side. His side. She could imagine him lying there, his bare chest rising and lowering with each breath he took. She'd only spent a couple of minutes with those thoughts before an idea came to mind. She quickly got up, grabbed a change of clothes and tossed them into a bag. She threw on her robe and slippers then made her way quietly down the steps and out into the garage. She ducked under the tarp and climbed into the cabinet. A second later she opened the door and stepped into Harry's room. She made sure the door was locked before she removed her robe and slippers and climbed under the covers next to her husband. Though she'd planned on just watching him sleep, it wasn't long before her eyes grew heavy and she laid her head on Harry's chest. A smile appeared on her lips as she inhaled the musky aroma of his body and soon she was fast asleep.

"Mione?" Harry's voice called softly. "Mione, wake up."

Hermione's eyes opened once again and this time she found herself looking into Harry's beautiful green eyes; a look of love and amusement sparkled in them. He was propped on his elbow and looking at her. "Good morning," She said.

"Good morning to you too," Harry said, still with a grin on his face. "Funny though, I don't remember you being here when I fell asleep last night."

Hermione gave him a small poke on his shoulder before admitting, "I woke up early and missed you."

Harry's grin changed to a warmer smile as he gently moved some of her hair behind her ear and followed that with a gentle caress of her cheek. "I missed you too," He said. Then he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her back against him as he laid back down. As his hand gently stroked her arm he asked. "Wonder what would happen if Molly decided to come in now?"