Chapter 33: Spiders and Goblins

Start from the beginning

Dumbledore ignored the question as he stared at Harry. Harry could feel the slight Legilimency probe. He quickly made sure his Occlumency barriers were fully up as he stared back. "We can stare at each other all night if you want Professor Dumbledore, but I'm confident that you aren't going to read my mind."

"WHAT?" Sirius exclaimed. "You're trying to probe Harry's mind?"

"He does it all the time," Harry explained to everyone who was now surrounding them. "That's how he knows when people's lying to him or not."

"Is that an admission of guilt Harry?" Dumbledore asked in his grandfatherly tone.

"No…just stating a fact," Harry replied. "Now if you'll excuse me Headmaster of Hogwarts…which this is not; I'm going back to bed."

Harry could see Moony's eyes flash between him and Dumbledore in confusion as he started up the steps. He had to fight to keep the smirk off his face until he was in his room with the door closed. "It was priceless," Harry said to his wife. "He was so sure I wasn't here."

"That was the plan," Hermione replied. "I better get back to my house."

Harry pulled her into his arms and guided her to the bed. "It'll take a while for him to go back to sleep," He murmured as he started kissing her neck. "No need to be in a hurry."

Hermione swallowed as his lips hit an especially sensitive spot and her knees buckled slightly. As she allowed her husband to gently push her into his bed, she replied. "No…no need to hurry at all."

Downstairs Dumbledore tapped the front door with his wand in various patterns, but nothing seemed amiss with his spell. After a few minutes, he respelled the door presuming that he must have made a simple mistake in the original casting or in linking it to the notification device.

"I really need to get back," Hermione said a short time later in a slightly flustered voice. Her eyes closed as Harry ran his fingers lightly over her arm and then traced a route to her cheek. "No…" she said weakly, but finally pulled herself out of Harry's bed. "Winky might be waiting."

"I'll go take a cold shower while you go check," Harry replied with a hint of frustration in his voice.

Hermione felt his frustration and sighed. "I know it's frustrating sometimes…I want you too," She said as she kissed Harry. "But…I had thought that…" She gave him another kiss, "we could celebrate your birthday in a special way." She gazed in his eyes for a few seconds. "Remember that I have your memories of your childhood and know about your birthdays. I...I've already taken the contraceptive potion because I thought...your birthday would be...well wouldn't that be an excellent birthday present?"

"I don't know," Harry replied cheekily. "Hard to top a Broomstick Servicing kit."

"I think my virginity might be a bit better than that," Hermione replied. "Which reminds me. I need to go to the library and get a few books on the matter."

"Don't," Harry said gently. "Don't get any books. I know you like to know everything ahead of time, but let's figure this out for ourselves. I think in this particular matter, hands-on learning is much better than books."

"As well as practicing?"

"Practice makes perfect, right?"