【 Chapter 6 】

Beginne am Anfang

"So, Dio, what do you plan on doing in town today with Anne?" A familiar voice asks.

"We're hosting a gala at the Joestar estate, as I'm sure you've heard. I insisted on buying Anne a new dress for the occasion," Dio replies.

I hear a small clatter, like dishes clanking against each other. "I have indeed heard about the party. I must say, I'm excited to attend. It sounds like it will be quite the lively event."

"It will be," Dio assures, "I'll make sure of that."

The way he said that last part doesn't sit right with me. He may just be making friendly small talk, but you can never be too suspicious.

Turning the knob slowly, I push the door open and see an unexpected sight. Despite my initial surprise, I feel my heart warm when I see the scene before me. My gaze rests upon Dio, standing beside my mother, drying dishes while she washes them.

       I wonder how he was able to convince her. My mother doesn't accept help from virtually anyone, always insisting she can do things on her own.

       "Oh Anne, your finished. Your friend Dio was waiting for you, so I let him in." She smiles happily at me, "He is such a fine gentleman!"

"You flatter me Mrs. Primrose," Dio dries his hands off on a towel, "Lovely chatting with you, but I believe we should be on our way now,"

       "Okay, have fun." She scrubs at a plate in the sink with a dish rag, "Thank you for the help Dio,"

"It was my pleasure, Mrs. Primrose," He replies on his way out.

       As I follow him out something nags at the back of my mind, a feeling. Sort of bubbly, kind of like happiness, but not quite the same. I feel my guard slipping, but I reflexively hang onto it, making sure not to lower it. At least not too low.

       Maybe it isn't right to suspect Dio so much, I only met him around a week or two ago, but I can't allow myself to get too comfortable either.

—————

       "I know a place that has good quality clothes that both look nice, and feel nice. Now, I have but one question for you, Anne," Dio and I walk side by side as we enter the richer part of town, "How do feel about the color red?"

      I raise my eyebrows in a questioning look. I do like the color red, but I would prefer it if I didn't stand out too much. I'm not exactly experienced in these sorts of situations, so having everyone's eyes on me would be a little nerve-racking.

       "Of course, it wouldn't be a super bright red. I'm thinking more of a dark red, almost burgundy," He continues, "What are your thoughts?"

  As I hear this the idea seems much more appealing, "That sounds nice. I'll leave you to call the shots, you probably know more about events like this than I do,"

       He smirks, approaching a store with beautiful window display, "I'm glad to know you have so much faith in me."

       As I enter the store my eyes widen. Almost in a state of shock I freeze in place, my gaze shifting to a new gown each second, bewilderment clear on my face. Dio takes my hand, pulling me along through the store in my state of awe.

      I sit down in an plush chair, watching Dio as he expertly searches for the perfect dress. He skims through the gowns, every once in a while stopping to study one of them, and then deciding to move on. Finally, he pauses on one for a while, and then pulls it from the rack. Nodding in approval, he brings it over to me.