Bonus Chapter: Fear of Falling, Hettie's POV

Start from the beginning

"Not going to stand here all day, Coward!" Skylar called up angrily as I glared down at them, my breathing speeding a touch at just how high up I am...

With nothing to prevent me from falling if I let go...

I focused upwards, taking a deep breath as I reached up, continuing to climb the uneven surface of winding roots, my boots slipping on the lower roots made my adrenaline rise a lot from fear alone, yet I somehow was able to keep my grip. I looked up, trying to gauge the best way to continue upwards from here, seeing the thick roots branch off in separate ways before joining back up together near the top. The right side looked safer with all the closely tight packed roots to grab hold of.

I went right, pushing myself up the cliff face as I panted heavily, feeling a touch out of breath from all this climbing. It is a hot day today in the valley, the sun beating down hard on the ground, and I have worked up quite the sweat climbing, I could feel it disgustingly dripping down inside my shirt and my clothes, my backpack wasn't helping, making them stick to my skin, as well as my sweaty hair matted to my forehead as I looked up in exhaustion, wondering how much further it is.

"Keep on going, skinny! You have more to climb!" Skylar's voice yelled up at me from down below as I glanced over my shoulder, my eyes widening at how far down Skylar and his crew are. I gulped, feeling fear try to take a good grip on me now.

If I fell, I would die from this height.

That terrified me to my core, but I looked up and took a deep breath, determined to continue. I reached up for the next root with a shaky hand, my arms protesting holding my weight so long. I still have not reached the tighter knit group of roots, I have to make it past this gap first.

Which is where I made my mistake, in thinking these roots would support my weight. I gripped the root above and jolted, eyes widening as I heard crackling from under my feet. I cried out in fear, trying to reach up with my other hand to grab the root above my head as the roots under my feet crackled and gave way under my weight. I shouted out in fear as my hand missed and I was left, dangling, far, far above the ground, by a single hand holding a root.

"Oh By The Great Mother Eagle!"

"Get an Adult! Get any adult! She's gonna fall!"

"What were we thinking?! The Elder's are going to throw us in laboring work for the rest of our lives! Get help before she falls!" I heard as I whimpered quietly, looking over my shoulder as my breath sped, seeing Skylar and his crew running away.

"W-wait! Help? Help!" I called out, dangling by a single hand alone as I began to hyperventilate in fear, glancing up as my arm protested holding all of my weight. I shakily reached up with my free hand, scratching and clawing at the rock cliff face for grip to pull myself up enough to hold on with both hands, but there was no hand holds, I was left suspended by a single hand as my shoulder protested more and more, fear getting worse and worse as my hand began to go numb.

I am going to die.

I closed my eyes tight, sobbing in fear as my hand grew more sweaty and numb.

Suddenly, I heard a high screech overhead. I opened my eyes and looked up with wide eyes as a Stellar Eagle flew down fast towards me, spreading out it's wings and blocking out the sun as I winced, closing my eyes tight, expecting the eagle to attack me.

I was shocked by what happened instead.

I felt razor sharp talons settle over my hand holding on, putting the animals weight on my hand to help my grip and insure I don't fall. I looked up in surprise as the eagle leaned down over me, tilting it's head and releasing low chirping sounds, that large yellow beak inches from my face. The eagle leaned over me and I was surprised to feel the eagle's beak get a grip on my hoodie, pulling up as I reached up desperately with my other hand, finding grip on the roots as I sobbed with relief, the eagle settling its other foot over my hand, holding both in place with it's weight.

I hanged there, the eagle holding my hands in place, as time passed and I began to fear that Skylar and the others decided to leave me dangling here rather than find help.

I don't want to die.

Sweat drenched every inch of me as time passed, making me nervous as my now numb and sore hands were quite sweaty, I fear moving even to breath, afraid it would be enough sweat to make my hands slip and let me fall.

"Hold on, Hettie!" I heard a voice call as I slowly, shakily glance over my shoulder, terrified to move, and spotted a group of men running up the hill with a long ladder suspended on their shoulders.

Ah, that's probably what took so long.

"H-help!" I shakily called out, knowing my grip won't hold much longer, even with the eagle sitting atop my hands and silently watching.

"Just a little bit longer, Hettie, you just gotta hold on! We're coming!" An adult called up as I closed my eyes tight, my breath speeding in fear.

I don't think I have a little bit longer.

I whimpered as my fingers began slowly sliding in the built up sweat, the eagle screeching out so loudly my ears began to ring.

My fingers slipped.

I screamed out in pure fear as the wind whipped my hair in my face and rushed through my clothes. I curled up into a ball, terrified of pain, terrified of death.

The eagle's cry rent the air, high and sharp, powerful. My ears rang.

I felt claws rip into the back of my hoodie and backpack, the loud whooshing sound of large wings several times, before thumping into a set of arms less painfully than I expected.

I gasped and opened my watery eyes as I looked up at the adult who looked so relieved.

"See to it this Eagle is treated well and given a good meal and a quick check up by the animal healer, she has done us a great service today. Come, Hettie, let's go find a healer to check those wounds for you." The adult said before walking away. I glanced over his shoulder at the Stellar eagle sitting on the grass, wings drooped out over the ground and looking utterly exhausted.

"Thank you, eagle." I whispered, closing my eyes, relieved to be alive.

I stared up at Polyphemus as I grinned at the memory, running my fingers another the feather in my hair, a flight feather from the very same eagle that saved me. She died shortly before my Spirit Quest of old age. I didn't consider the feather a reminder of The Great Mother Eagle anymore. No, I considered it as a way to honor the eagle that save my life.

I wouldn't be here today without her  saving my life.

Another bonus chapter for you all on where Hettie's fear of heights began. The end point is set sometime after the end of The Will Of Two Worlds, really didn't plan when but ya. The fact no one knew, that the Stellar Eagle feather in her hair is from the very eagle that save her life. Enjoy!