47| A Lover Scorned - 𝐈

AN// This story in total is officially over 500k words (inc. the first book)! WHAT!?! That's a little insane XD Thank you all so much for sticking with this story!
___________________

═ 𝘈 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘚𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥 ═

[TW// intimidation, internal conflict, internalised/resolved homophobia

[TW// intimidation, internal conflict, internalised/resolved homophobia. Canon-typical religious opinion. CW// angst and some shouting]

Ari's past comes back to haunt her and Lancelot unravels a heart aching lie.

go easy on me, baby
I was still a child

Several days had passed with nothing eventful happening at all, and though the camp was settling it was still far from completely calm. There was a buzz radiating in the air that lingered from the Paladin's ambush of the raiders, and most Fey were remaining on edge in anticipation. Ari had increased the guard around the forest and created shorter patrol routes with increased frequency throughout the day. She found herself going out more and more and using her powers to their advantage. Though whatever magic was in the ground here disturbed the clarity of her senses when she reached out, a palm pressed to a tree or the dirt to feel for anyone approaching, but she had not been wrong thus far.

There was one person who she wished could be there more often, but the elders were still turning down their noses at him wandering too frequently out of the camp, even to join the patrol. They had once again found that sneaking away was more difficult than they thought. Ari felt desperate, being so close and yet still so far. Stealing a private kiss was was still lovely though they hadn't tried to venture further than that, much to both of their dismays. Patience was difficult but there weren't any other options. Cherish what we can - for they never know what was coming around the corner... something which the night of the raiders' attack and this frigid day made clear.

~

There weren't many here collecting their breakfasts, just the cooks pottering around between tents, but the eyes who had seen them kiss in the dark were here - lurking and retreating out of sight from what they had stumbled upon.

Eyes watched them together in the tent, hating how close they stood and how the Monk pressed himself ever nearer behind her side as they collected their bowls of steaming milk and oats. The edge of his cloak moved and the eyes knew that he was touching the queen. A hand manoeuvring to her waist or maybe lower, further. Somewhere where the eyes disproved of even if they could not see for sure.

Having seen enough of this, the eyes stepped away with a fury back into the frosted morn.

An odd feeling tickled at the back of Ari's neck and she twisted away from the man at her side to look behind her out of the sheltered tent. His gently warming palm over her woollen cloak dragged across from her hip to her spine while she rotated.