Unwritten Origins Part 2 (Clover)

A/N: A request for the delightful @iIGhostiCloverIi

"Where are you taking him," Clover asked, running after the woman. "He's my brother, he should stay with me!"

"I know, sweetie. And, believe me, I'm trying to arrange things so that you don't get separated, but there just aren't a lot of people looking for two kids and the facility is so understaffed after the war... the best bet for his care might just be to let him go to a family..." She put a hand on Clover's shoulder. "I'm so sorry."

Clover sniffled and wiped away tears before nodding, his lip quivering. "Alright." He kissed Custard's head, then stepped out of the way.

That night felt lonelier than usual. Then, the following day. Soon enough, the loneliness became a normal part of his life. He carried it around everywhere.

A few years passed and that feeling still stuck to him like glue. Clover sat in the forest just behind his backyard, strumming his old, worn lute, the one thing he still had from his years at the castle. Then, he began to sing a ballad about the Dark Flour War.

Animals of all kinds followed the music, drawn to it by some instinctual response. They gathered around Clover to listen to him share his life and his music and his soul with them. And, there in the forest, he felt a little less alone.