They Call It The Sweetest Sin, But It's Just A Job

Start from the beginning

He sat down next to me anyways. All he did was stare at me, at least in the beginning. At least until I said, “If you’re not going to talk, I’ve got customers I could tend to.”

He sighed, “I don’t want any more money. I don’t want anything good anymore. I don’t need it.”

I patted his knee. “Just say you want love.”

“I do. I want love. I don’t know what to do though. Everyone is happy with someone except me. Even my mother is writing letters to my father who she hasn’t seen in two decades. I’m just ready to be loved. I want to be like everyone else.” 

“What do you think it’ll be like?” I asked. I then grabbed a pillow and hugged it. I didn’t want to hear about me , but I was expecting it.

He then closed his eyes and said, “I’m thinking about getting a nice girl. It’ll just be us if all goes like I want it to.” 

“Well that’s nice.”

He then opened his eyes and looked at me. “It’s not what I want though. I’m still a little different than everyone else.”

“Do you have to be? Really, I’ve never understood. Isn’t it just you pick someone and go oh yes you’re very lovely let’s get married?”

He pulled his knees to his chest. “I suppose not. Have you ever loved anyone?”

I sighed, “I loved you in your last life.  That’s different though. That was Manaphel playing matchmaker. It’s wrote as that.  Anthony, I care about you very much, and it’s in your best interests not to love me or anyone else for that matter.”

“What was I like?”

I laid down on the bed and closed my eyes. “You were stuck up and childish, but you were also kind and resilient. I wasn’t a good enough angel for you then, and I’m not a better one now.”

I then felt the bed move beside me. I opened my eyes a little to see him next to me. “I’m sure you were a fine enough  angel if you wouldn’t let me go to Hell.”

I closed my eyes again and mumbled, “There’s a lot of things that are worse than Hell. For one, God’s wrath. Secondly, being toyed with by God   like a doll.”

“I’ve heard all about that in church.”

“In there you’re just getting started. I know all about it.”

He then shifted around. I heard him mumble, “I want to live like I want to. I don’t want silly laws saying what I can and can’t do. I don’t want to be played with like a puppet. I don’t want any commandments. I just want to be me.”

I scooted closer to him and sighed, “I do too.”

It was silent for a moment. Only when I opened my eyes, Anthony said, “Quit your job here. Run away with me. We can go have a nice life and live how we want.”

“I’m not quite ready for that yet. You stay here, and live like you should.”

He then got up and sighed, “I don’t need your money. Don’t bother looking for me.”

That night I still left money on his doorstep anyways.

Not very long after that night he met a nice girl. I often saw them around town. Anthony usually had his arm wrapped around her waist. Both of them had smiles plastered on their faces and they seemed to be laughing all the time. I was satisfied. He was living like he should. Still I could tell neither of them really loved each other. They seemed more like really good friends.