Whisky Lullabies To Say Goodnight

Whisky and wine made for a fine time.

I ended up at a tavern. For sure, it was illegal. I saw things I had never seen before. There were lusty women dancing in every corner of the room. Men watched them for their own personal satisfaction. I wasn't amused or satisfied. If anything I was repulsed. I tried not to stare at anything except for the bottom of my drink. Still, I let my eyes wander a bit.

It felt odd seeing other angels in the closest place to Hell that humans could create. Some looked sullen, probably because they lost hope in their humans. Others looked more than merry, glad to have a drink or two with their parties of people. Public drunkenness was a sin. It was like they were asking to fall.

"You're not going to tell on them, are you, Judas?"

I turned around. It was definitely no angel behind me.

"Remember me?" he asked, "Do you remember from all those years ago, little angel?"

He certainly did look familiar. I couldn't pin his name, however. "Are you part of Manaphel's lot?" I asked as I pushed away my drink.

He chuckled and said, "Manaphel has no lot. Manaphel has Evanora. You have that soul seller. Now can you guess who I have?"

"Ariel, isn't it? Are you that one?"

He slid my drink back towards me. "Damn right it's me."

"What's your name again?"

"P.I.T.A."

I chuckled, "What kind of a name is Pee-Eye-Te-Ahe."

Bad choice on my part. I own that.

He grabbed my by the collar of my shirt. "It stands for Pain In The Ass. Do you want to ask another question?"

Bad choice on his part asking that question.

"Yeah. Did Manaphel send you to spy on me? I can't get away from you people."

He let go of my shirt and rolled his eyes. "Of course she did, angel. You know her well enough."

I grabbed my drink again. "Look, Pain In The Ass, I want my alone time. Let me be alone, please."

"Can I tell Manaphel that you got drunk and watched two guys snog at each other if I leave you alone?"

I sipped my drink. "I've never witnessed such a thing or anything like it," I said as I pulled the drink away. I set it down on the table. It made a rather abrupt clunk against the oak top.

"Then turn around," he chuckled.

I looked behind me. In fact, there was something I had never seen before. It wasn't as much snogging as tender kissing.

"Oh."

I turned back to look at P.I.T.A., but he was gone. Probably off to tell Manaphel. Seeing stuff didn't mean anything, it didn't mean anything at all, not a thing.

So I looked again. This time I saw more. It was perhaps the most holy thing in this place. The way they were holding each other with tender touches. And my god, the way they looked at each other.

I looked back at my drink. It wasn't very nice to stare. If I could have helped myself, I would have, but it felt comforting to see it. It wasn't cruel. It wasn't violent. It wasn't even lustful. It was nice. They were happy too. Perhaps I caught a glimpse of a smile in that hell.

Only if I could have such joy with Anthony.

No, no, no. Silly me, joy was for the humans. I was an angel, and I was out of place.