Apples

Oh that fruit. That fucking awful fruit. Apples. I hate apples. They taste good and the texture is fine, but they were forbidden to humans, and if the incident in the garden never happened, Anthony wouldn't know good from evil. Everything would be fine then. Humans wouldn't have to know. The cost of knowledge is larger than what anyone could ever understand.

Despite my sin being revealed to the wicked, I still wanted to know what it was like to love Anthony. The foul cat was laughing, yet I still wanted to know. The wicked demon was dragging by the wrist inside, yet I still wanted to know. Then there was the witch in the kitchen, offering me apple pie, yet I still wanted to know.

I accepted the offer.

The pie was sweet and tart. They were still crisp, but melted away in my mouth like sugar candies. There was a hint of cinnamon too. It burned my taste buds in just the right way. Sin and heat, that's what it was, a pie made of sin and heat, just like Hell. Sin pie. Why did such sin taste so good? It baffled me, and played with my curiosity. Would such sin with Anthony feel just as sweet? I couldn't help but wonder.

He was so tempting. Those apple red blushing cheeks and leaf green eyes. What awful things could I learn from such a temptation?

I glanced up at Manaphel. "Do you want to know what I'm thinking about?"

She leaned over the table. I hated how tall she was even more in that moment. I felt silly to be intimidated by a demon simply because she was tall.

"Hm? I know you're thinking about your boy because that's what you're always thinking about, but I wanna know about what you're thinking about your boy."

I glanced down, then stabbed my fork into the pie. Then I glanced back up at her. "I think he's a lot like the beginning. You know, the garden and all. Particularly, the apple. Your team's deal, I'm sure you know. He's sweet. He's tempting. And I can learn something that I don't know about from him, which will ultimately get me in trouble."

She sat back down. Perhaps she was calming down. I heard two cracks come from her side of the table. I then glanced over, seeing she was cracking her knuckles.

"Are you mad?"

"No, no, not mad about that. -Y'know I don't think the apple thing was entirely a bad thing. It's human. And humans aren't bad or good, despite being made in the image of The Big Man," she mumbled. She cracked another knuckle. "Don't you love humanity?"

Of course I loved humanity. I loved Anthony. But what was a demon, who purchased my human's soul, going to tell me about love?

"You don't. What's the point?"

She looked out the window at Evanora, who was tending to a fern in the garden. Jasper was back to his feline form. As most cats do, he was pawing at a bug or something creepy and crawly.

"I do. I do love humans. I love her. I really do. I know I'm a demon. Do you think I wanted to be a demon?"

"You rebelled, so yes. That's asking for it."

She turned back to look at me. "Do you know why I rebelled?"

"I don't know you well enough to know that. Something about Evanora," I sighed. I rolled my eyes at her, then mumbled under my breath, "Get to the point."

There were three more cracks before I heard her mumble, "I loved. That's what I did. Have you ever noticed Evanora doesn't have an angel?"

"She's immortal. No angel is going to waist their time with immortality."

"I did. That's what I fell for. I fell so I could gift her immortality. I don't waste my time. I give it."

Well that sounded stupid at the time. Daft demon.