The Sun Will Rise

We sat on the bed in our night clothes. Quiet, it was very quiet. The only sound was his breathing. Neither of us dared to speak. We just looked at each other. He looked tired, and sad, yet glorious. His cheeks were still red with blush, like the sun over sand. My, my, he was almost perfect sitting in moonlight.

I looked up at the mirror. There was me looking back. My hair was still a mess, but I looked a little more lively with Anthony next to me.

"So what do you have to say?"

Anthony looked down at his hands. His thumbs were dancing around each other. "I... Nobody has ever held me like that before. Well maybe my mother when I was little."

There was a moment of silence. I expected him to keep talking. He expected me to talk. We both were met with silence.

"I know," I sighed, just to fix it. He took it as enough and continued, "I liked it."

"I thought you would."

Anthony laid back against the bed. He looked up at me. "You know, I don't think the world likes me much."

"No, I don't think the world likes much of anybody... But I do."

Anthony giggled a little and his ears turned pink at the edges. He patted my thigh twice and said, "At least you're not against me."

"I'll always support you. You're my human. My existence is based on supporting you. It looks like things go wrong when I don't."

He nodded and said, "I don't have a home now. Can you believe it? Sixteen years I'm there and it takes five minutes for them to decide they want me gone."

I laid down next to him. I could feel him starting to pull away from me.

"It's alright. Sixteen years I've been here with you on Earth too. I'll take care of you. I always have. I always will."

He stared right at me. His eyes looked big and wide, and his lip began to tremble. It was obvious he was going to cry again, so I put my hand on his shoulder and asked, "Do you want to be held again?"

He nodded and buried his face into my chest. He then began to bawl.

"It's alright," I whispered to him, "You're alright. We'll find our way. I promise, we'll get out of here soon. And when we do we'll never have to come back. I'll find you a good woman, and you'll have a nice family, and I'll find a way to save you from Hell."

He looked up at me. His eyes seemed scared. "But I don't want a woman," he sighed. I knew that, but I also knew that Anthony was stubborn. "I thought selling my soul would make me want one, but I still don't."

No demon could fix his stubbornness.

"Yes, but if you don't marry a nice woman, then your Hell case won't get much better."

"I thought you said you'd support me," he groaned as he pulled away from me and moved his face to his pillow. He was right. I did say that. "I'm supporting you for the long term effect."

Anthony raised off the pillow a little. More tears were rolling down his cheeks. "Ollie, I'm not in it for the long term effect. I'm in it for the sake of living life. Just help me live it. That's all I'm asking."

He just wanted to be loved.

"Okay... Whoever you're with will be nice. Sweet. I won't accept anyone less. Only the best for you."

He rolled over to face away from me. "I think I've found somebody. I had a dream while I was asleep. It was the most amazing dream I've ever had. Do you know who was in my dream?"