Brewing Storm {24}

Start from the beginning

Miles nods and playfully nudges me out of the way with his heavily tattooed arm to get to the potatoes. "Dad's house next with the step-mom, then off to mama's for dinner."

"Oh." I frown and glance around the room, looking for Zane. I know I shouldn't. I've been giving him the cold shoulder for two weeks, but it doesn't mean that I don't miss him. I suppose going to Tamarah and Miles's families' houses and not going to Big Daddy P's for football later is a good thing. It'll avoid the inevitable awkwardness between Zane and me.

He looked so pissed when I showed up with Creed.

"Dad didn't say anything about dinner with your family." I step out of the way so that he can work his way down the table. His paper plate is already crying out in an awkward bend from the weight of the food on it.

"That's because you all weren't invited, sweetheart." Tamarah comes up behind me, making me start. She shoots her brother a glare, causing him to cringe as he piles a few slices of turkey onto his plate.

"Sorry, I wasn't thinking." Miles apologizes to both of us.

"Obviously." Tamarah rolls her eyes as she wraps an arm around me.

My mind whirls as I try to figure out why they wouldn't want Dad and me there. Me, sure, I get it. I'm the boyfriend's daughter, but I would have thought dad would be invited to go. We've gone to family functions before.

"We weren't invited?" My nose scrunches up. Did we do something wrong?

Tamarah licks her full lips before guiding me away from the buffet table and to a more remote corner. "Momma and daddy are pretty pissed I moved in with you all. They see your daddy as me going through a rebellious stage, and me moving in is a little too serious for their liking."

My heart sinks into the pit of my stomach. "Are you two going to break up?"

Thankfully Tamarah's eyes widen, and she quickly shakes her head. "No, no, no. It's just a hiccup with my family. Nothing to worry about right now. They'll come around." The doubt in her eyes says that she's not so sure they will, though.

I can't say that I'm thrilled with the idea of my dad dating a lady just a few years older than me, but it's been nice to see him happy.

"Hey," she gently squeezes my shoulders. "Don't worry about it. Now, can you do me a huge favor? I left several containers of whipped cream in the camper. Do you mind getting them while I refill?" She nods to the almost empty stuffing tray.

I nod and take the empty bowl in my arms before weaving in and out of the crowd. I'll have to table my worries about Dad and Tamarah for now and ask Dad more about it later. A holiday function isn't the time to question either of them.

Once outside in the damp air, I take in a deep breath. Since I've gotten here, I've been stealing glances at Zane, not that it's stealing when every time I look at him, his eyes are locked on me. Every time our eyes met, it made my core tighten and sent a shiver of desire through me.

The looks didn't stop until Creed left with some other guys to bring in more tables from the gym. It was about that time I noticed Zane disappear. I have to say, relief from both boys is a bit welcoming. Creed and I may just be friends for now, but that doesn't seem to stop him from giving me heated gazes and wanting touches. Between the two of them, I'm losing my mind.

A breath of fresh air should do me some good.

The gravel crunches beneath my black flats as I walk down the long neighboring building that the Pirates use as a mechanic shop. Some of the guys who are handy with bikes help out the others by charging a much smaller fee to fix their bikes than a bike repair shop.