Chapter Thirty-Seven: Yellow Pages

Start from the beginning

Devon hesitates a moment, unsure if she should let the news come from them but eventually she nods her head, deciding it's fine no matter who it's coming from.

"Will you be okay being alone for a little bit?" Hank asks, receiving a nod from the woman. "We should make that phone call, Connor." Hank's blue eyes settle into the brunette whose eyes were fixed on the woman in front of him. Connor slightly turns his head in Hank's direction, glancing over at him and giving him a curt nod.

As Connor begins to rise to his feet, he places a lingering kiss on Devon's forehead. "I'll be back, okay?" He asks, finger brushing her cheek and then tucking a loose strand of hair out of her face.

Devon nods with a ghost of a smile. Connor nods almost in confirmation and begins to leave the room, leading Hank to the front door so they could step outside to make the call. Once the door shuts behind them, Devon lets out a breath, throwing her head back against the couch cushions behind her.

She closes her eyes, hand still petting the Golden Retriever. He pops up in her vision, those damned green eyes staring back at her. Devon quickly opens her eyes and sits up, cursing under her breath as she cups her face in her hands.

"Fucking bastard." She sighs, standing to her feet. Devon Cassidy moves across the room towards a loan bookshelf that holds many of the paper books she has collected over time. Next to it sat neatly on the floor was a still yet to be unpacked box.

Life has been so busy lately, she nor Connor had the time to fully unpack but why not start now since if she stays not doing anything and lets her thoughts roam freely, it would truly drive her insane.

So the blonde opens said box and begin unpacking some of the stored away books, organizing them in alphabetical order. Organizing, puzzles, or any kind of work that challenges her brain was always welcome to the woman when her mind was filled with endless tormenting thoughts.

After a few books were placed in their correct order, the next item in the box makes her pause. Right there lays her mother's journal with its dark brown leather cover and worn pages. She had forgotten about it, never really handling the journal, only letting it sit on a shelf to collect dust.

Picking it up and bringing it closer, the detective inspects the cover, seeing the indentions in the leather, still able to smell its faint smell. Devon nibbles at the dry skin on her bottom lip, contemplating opening it.

All these years she never has thought about opening it, figuring there was never anything inside that was meant for her eyes. But as she stands there, the weight of the journal in her hands, Devon can't even picture what her mom's handwriting looked like anymore.

With a small frown and new set determination, Devon flips open the journal, deciding if there was ever a time for her to finally look inside, it was now.

The yellow pages were in still in decent condition, only the edges of a few of the pages had creases or splits. Devon's fingers trace over her mother's writing, feeling the indention the neat script left.

Nothing stood out to Devon so far, there was a bunch of math equations and formulas and notes about robotics scribbled about, a few of her pen marks highlighted in various colors. After a few pages though, she came across an entry that wasn't about her work.

I took Devon to the park today. It was such a beautiful and sunny day, a bit windy mind you but other than that, it was perfect. The sky was a vivid blue and the clouds looked so fluffy. Devon was very happy to skip around and play, we even stopped and got ice cream. That girl sure can eat sweets.

Devon swallows, eyes glistening with unshed tears but she smiled nonetheless.

We also went to pick out flowers. She loves Sunflowers, I'm not really surprised. She's my little Sunflower, so full of life and absolutely beautiful. I hope we can have more days like this soon, I've been so consumed with work lately but I will make time for my daughter. She means the whole world to me.